Peugeot RS 406 2.0 GTX - Ex Concours - pic heavy

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
Waxman
2.0 16v

Peugeot RS 406 2.0 GTX - Ex Concours - pic heavy

Post by Waxman »

And welcome to this car.

Story is that a friend of mine owned this car, I did a bit of work for him and he offered me the Peugeot in return - Was thinking about needing a load lugger so this suited the bill. - in for m.o.t, getting a fresh 12 month ticket, given road tax, new oils/filters and away we go. - On 216,000 miles, it's interesting to say the least. It's the 2.0 8v Hdi 110bhp engine that's wearing a chip to 140bhp and K&N filters - hopefully giving 50mpg, it's ideal what I'm after to lug stuff around with.

ok. Now this is an ex concours car... what I mean by that is in June 2000, Monsieur Jacque Trevet gave it the thumbs up at a factory PDI at Peugeot - That was the last time it was ever concours condition

I like a challenge so lets see what I can do with this - Pictures below are just from how I received it.. - Comments welcome :)

p.s - the RS stands for Rubble Shifter,

Yes - This really is a bus ticket from 2002 !! - When was it hoovered properly last ?

The Rubble Shifter: 2.0 HDi 110 GTX 406 Estate, Tuning Box, K&N Filters.
Thunderbird 4: Mercedes AMG E55, Full Decat & Res Delete.
*New Addition* The Roller Skate: VW Polo GTi
Waxman
2.0 16v

Re: Peugeot RS 406 2.0 GTX - Ex Concours - pic heavy

Post by Waxman »

I do hate a dirty car - Meh !!

Bit of elbow grease &..

It certainly carries it's mileage in tar on the sides of the car as well. - It's been err.. used for sure - More to come

:wink:
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

After the job you done on that engine bay i can't wait to see what you do to the rest... Methinks it will take a while. :wink:

And welcome to the forum. 8)
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
Waxman
2.0 16v

Post by Waxman »

^^ Thx :cheesy:

Interiors up Next. - Basically a 10:1 degreaser straight in via a wet-n-dry vac.

Bluuuurgh

Drivers seat has now been done twice,( pic above is pre treatment ) it's 95% better but if I have time, I'll do it again on a few areas. - Gives me more reasons why I think leather is always a better option on cars.

A couple of 'work in progress shots'

Niiice

On a side note, had some JBL's in the cupboard from I don't know when, so it was rude not to change over the standard door speakers to something a little better as they are the exact same circumference. - The factory fit ones I had, I'm going to see if I can get them to fit on the rear pillars - I know they are smaller in the rear so not taken the pillar off to check yet. :roll:

Waxman
2.0 16v

Post by Waxman »

All the door shuts were cleaned with degreaser - worth noting that at the bottom of the door shuts, ( the gap behind the lower door hinge ) you can see all the crap that falls down the drain channel and gets caught - potentially a rust trap - so all of that was cleaned out and pressure blasted through - now nice and clean door shuts and drain channels :wink:

In the meantime, scratches galore means I have to dig in the 'wetsand' vault and try to remember what I'm doing.

Bonnet albeit with a million small stonechips, had a nasty scratch right at the front about a foot across. Can't have that..

to:

More scratches on the side doors that I need to do as well

How she stands so far after day 2 - all wheels cleaned of brake dust and built up crap on them - About another 2 weeks work at least before she comes back to an ok condition :| - more to follow.

Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

wow,that was one dirty car,the amount of grease on that cap of servo was umbelivable,good job that cleaning.
engine bay is spotless
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

WOW :shock: ,
That was one negleted & dirty motor, Great job on the clean up so far you must have a lot of spare time on your hand's :lol:
Keep up the good work, nice to see one being brought back from the brink.
Make's me wonder how many people neglect their cars like this & then just get rid :supafrisk:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Waxman
2.0 16v

Post by Waxman »

Indeed - This car was about two weeks away from being sent to the crusher :cry: The previous owner had no need for it, it was on SORN so was worth just the £150 in scrap metal to him.

Carrying on around the car picking off the scratches where I see them, still a lot of dings which I may or may not get sorted.

Nice scratches on the rear door:

Work in progress wet sand > more was done after this pic. > this stage always looks more horrific that it really is :)

Once thin line wetsanded it was machine polished back:

The Interior now cleaned with the addition of a new set of tailored car mats, now looks a healthier place to be:

Another side note is that it has a leak from the bottom connection on the Radiator and the brakes felt soft > previous cheap pads fitted ) - So new Mintex pads & discs ordered & fitted and new radiator fitted.. due to the crap design of the bottom hose and the way it's corroded, it's still causing it to leak. - Put hand in pocket and am getting a new one from a main dealer tomorrow morning.

At least then it will be new rad & hose fitted so 'should' now last the rest of the cars life..

More to come :cheesy:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

That's an impressive transformation. 8)
Keep up the good work.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

my car could look so much better if i knew how to get rid of scratches like that. :roll:

Impressive stuff. 8)
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

WOW :shock: and WOW :shock:
That is truly astonishing.
You've just put a good £500 on the value of that car! :D

How did you get the scratches out (I've got a fair collection) (***gets in the queue behind scotty) :oops:

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Waxman
2.0 16v

Post by Waxman »

Scratches are done by :

2500 grit wetsandpaper - fully pre soaked and 3000 grit wetsandpaper fully pre soaked

First thing to note that if the scratch is too deep ( you can tell this by running your fingernail over the scratch - if you feel a 'click' then it maybe too deep and will need a normal paint repair. - you can however take the edge off these scratches so to speak using this method.

Run the 2500 grit over the scratch line, keep applying water and checking your work by wiping dry with a cloth. - light strokes until you barely see the scratch, then gently a few strokes over this with the 3000 grit.

Too much pressure or too many strokes and you will go through the lacquer and then into the paint below - this will leave a dull finish and will need a respray - so careful is the way to go.

Once it's ready to polish, use any Dual Action polisher with a polishing pad and light cutting compound. Work on a slow speed over the wetsanded area. This will quickly start to 'bring' the area back, work on a higher rate speed until all back to normal and area is how it should be.

If anyone has never tried something like this, I'd recommend trialing on a scrap/test panel before using on your actual car - It won't take long to take it back to primer if not careful :)

Once you do get scratches out, it's very satisfying and something else to cross off the 'That's bugging me' list.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I should think that if the previous owner sees the car now he will kick himself in the gonads very hard indeed.. :shock:
The car looks AMAZING, such a good job and it shows what you can do with a bit of patience and know how.
Top marks.. :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
davew
2.0 16v

Post by davew »

that's quite a transformation , looks like a totally different car now :)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Wow, talk about resurrection :shock:
...the brakes felt soft...
I was just thinking, if your mate never bothered to clean it perhaps he was lax on the servicing too - could be (over)due a brake fluid change...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.