My new HDi...

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Re: My new HDi...

Post by OdinEidolon »

Welly wrote:One of my front springs went at 9 years old/125K miles - has anyone ever seen the length of a standard 406 front spring? they're bloody huge :shock:

And the diesel engine mounts take a lot of strain because of the torque - the engine is literally trying to do a 360 on it's axis.

Here's one I paid for earlier:
IMG
That's a badly knackered mount!
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Well I'd have thought a bit of routine maintenance on the strut top bearing would considerably prolongue the life of the spring. Also, i'f you're going to change the springs, change the bearings too!
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

DaiRees wrote:Well I'd have thought a bit of routine maintenance on the strut top bearing would considerably prolongue the life of the spring. Also, i'f you're going to change the springs, change the bearings too!
You know, this is my first car and everything I've not changed or repaired yet is completely new to me, a lack of knowledge I plan to make up with time. :wink:
So recapping:
- my spring(s) could fail anytime
- there's no way to diagnose if they are going to fail soon
- they are definitely not cheap

Could you please point me to some SB part numbers for these bearings? I've never worked on any suspension setup so I know nothing about it (yet)!

Thanks guys. And sorry Bailes.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Bailes1992 wrote:Right a little digging...
The Siemens sid80 ECU CAN be remapped, it does NOT have to be removed from the car.
GotBoost down by me have quoted £225+vat for a stage one tune ~120bhp.
Waiting for Celtic tuning to get back to me, but their maps are more like 130bhp and 290nm's of torque! So depending on price, and weather ot not they remap Siemens ECU's will depend who I'l go with, if I map at all!

Also my throttle issue, guy on TDOC just diagnosed a worn throttle position sensor, just ordered a second hand one off ebay for £20 to see if it is the problem. Apparently quite common.
Just for info Sam, I got a quote from Celtic Tuning when I first got the car, didn't follow it up and hey-presto a cheaper quote arrived a month or two later, - £50 less, IIRC.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

OdinEidolon wrote:Could you please point me to some SB part numbers for these bearings? I've never worked on any suspension setup so I know nothing about it (yet)!
Sorry mate, I don't have SB at the moment but I'm sure someone else will oblige.

Also, bear in mind that this is just 2nd hand information, I've no personal experience of this either way, but it certainly appears to make sense that the 2 things are related.
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

OdinEidolon wrote:So recapping:
No idea about official Pug costs for replacement springs, but here are some after-market (non-lowering) front springs I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330634867889

Never heard of the company, no idea what the products are like, but that's not what I'd call expensive.

And here are the bearings I found:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280739834473

Hope this helps
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

DaiRees wrote:
OdinEidolon wrote:Could you please point me to some SB part numbers for these bearings? I've never worked on any suspension setup so I know nothing about it (yet)!
Sorry mate, I don't have SB at the moment but I'm sure someone else will oblige.

Also, bear in mind that this is just 2nd hand information, I've no personal experience of this either way, but it certainly appears to make sense that the 2 things are related.
Thnaks anyway mate, I'll do some research later maybe.

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:
OdinEidolon wrote:So recapping:
No idea about official Pug costs for replacement springs, but here are some after-market (non-lowering) front springs I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330634867889

Never heard of the company, no idea what the products are like, but that's not what I'd call expensive.

And here are the bearings I found:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280739834473

Hope this helps
Thanks HL, you always are spot on!

jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

The springs that Highlander linked to are widely used in the trade, the price is slightly less than I would pay as a trade price.

The quality is usually pretty good, but I've had a couple for other cars which have been a difficult fit due to being made slightly different than the original (slightly wider, not sitting in their mounts properly).

Regarding the top mounts...I usually open up the bearing case and inspect the inner bearing race, I'f the bearing race has any damage then I replace them(I rarely have to replace them).

I usually soak the bearing race in oil for a short while and pack the race with lots of grease, that usually sorts out any worries with the top bearings.

Replacing the springs is a very difficult job as compressing the springs is a tricky and potentially dangerous job...I take these type of springs to my mate who has a hydraulic spring compressor to replace them....much safer....as has been noted above, the springs are much bigger than their compressed length hence the difficulty in compressing and fitting.

There is another make widely used in the trade which are good quality, these are FAI.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

jasper5 wrote:The springs that Highlander linked to are widely used in the trade, the price is slightly less than I would pay as a trade price.

The quality is usually pretty good, but I've had a couple for other cars which have been a difficult fit due to being made slightly different than the original (slightly wider, not sitting in their mounts properly).

Regarding the top mounts...I usually open up the bearing case and inspect the inner bearing race, I'f the bearing race has any damage then I replace them(I rarely have to replace them).

I usually soak the bearing race in oil for a short while and pack the race with lots of grease, that usually sorts out any worries with the top bearings.

Replacing the springs is a very difficult job as compressing the springs is a tricky and potentially dangerous job...I take these type of springs to my mate who has a hydraulic spring compressor to replace them....much safer....as has been noted above, the springs are much bigger than their compressed length hence the difficulty in compressing and fitting.

There is another make widely used in the trade which are good quality, these are FAI.
Brilliant info there Jasper, thanks. Do you believe I should inspect the bearing before deciding if I should replace the springs? Is there a way to know when they're fonna fail?

jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

It's a bit difficult trying to predict when they will fail but look to see if the springs have any serious corrosion on any of the coils.

Without removing the shock absorbers or springs you can check if the bearings are moving smoothly by getting someone to turn the steering from lock to lock and watching each spring in turn to see if the coils are sticking or winding up.

If the springs do not move when the steering is turned lock to lock then there is a good chance the bearings are moving freely.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

jasper5 wrote:It's a bit difficult trying to predict when they will fail but look to see if the springs have any serious corrosion on any of the coils.

Without removing the shock absorbers or springs you can check if the bearings are moving smoothly by getting someone to turn the steering from lock to lock and watching each spring in turn to see if the coils are sticking or winding up.

If the springs do not move when the steering is turned lock to lock then there is a good chance the bearings are moving freely.
Will do, precious advice Jasper, brilliant, thanks!

Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Doggy wrote:
Bailes1992 wrote:Right a little digging...
The Siemens sid80 ECU CAN be remapped, it does NOT have to be removed from the car.
GotBoost down by me have quoted £225+vat for a stage one tune ~120bhp.
Waiting for Celtic tuning to get back to me, but their maps are more like 130bhp and 290nm's of torque! So depending on price, and weather ot not they remap Siemens ECU's will depend who I'l go with, if I map at all!

Also my throttle issue, guy on TDOC just diagnosed a worn throttle position sensor, just ordered a second hand one off ebay for £20 to see if it is the problem. Apparently quite common.
Just for info Sam, I got a quote from Celtic Tuning when I first got the car, didn't follow it up and hey-presto a cheaper quote arrived a month or two later, - £50 less, IIRC.
Celtic tuning wouldn't remap my car using the mobile service, I would have to give my car to a company in Bristoll. Apparently it's hard to remap these cars with the comms port. The ECU may have to be removed but not dismantled.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

New throttle position sensor fitted today, what a difference :D Can actually maintain 80mph without having my foot to the floor :lol:
Service will hopefully get done tommorow!
Then goto get my mechanic to sort out my squeeky AUX belt and my wheel alignment.

And then all thats left to change is the brake discs and mechanically the 406 will be perfect... for a few days at least :lol:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Urrghhhh

Oil came out black and like tar! Going to leave it 500 miles and drop it again to try clear all the crap!