Nollington Hards progress blog

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Nollington Hards progress blog

Post by NollingtonHards »

I thought it be best if i make one central blog instead of several smaller threads. After a week long trip to cornwall i decided to replace the front speakers in the 406. At some point i will see if the rear can be replaced with some i sourced from a local skip but thats for later.
Removed the surprisingly small front speakers and took the connector lead off
Soldered it to the new speaker
Then i put it in and i tried the electric window and snap, it had crushed the connecter and ripped soldered connections off. So some super glue and more soldering later and its in
Much nicer sound now and hoping to thoroughly clean my car tommorow off all the crud thats been left in my car over the last few trips ive had.
Dead president's corpse in the driver's car
The engine runs on glue and tar
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Re: Nollington Hards progress blog

Although i got no photos of it in progress i spent the day stripping out the seats, cleaning them & then febreezing them. I also discovered some rust under the rear seat above the fuel tank so de-rusted and hammerited it. Then did a double coating of carpet cleaning foam and hoovered.
Hopefully pictures do it justice but I'm very happy with it. Then de-badged the rear, looks much smoother
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Good job Nolly! Puts mine to shame :oops:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

That is one super clean interior :shock:
2006 207 GT THP 150
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

I decided to take my bumper off and try and find my coolant leak, so as told by the Haynes manual i had to remove the headlights. 4 hours of trying and giving up later and there both out. Even took a bit of my blood (seriously who at peugeot thought of how to secure them?? Truly impossible)
The bonnet securing bit was looking rusty so i hammerited it blue (i got no money ha) and spray paint it black with some paint i got left over.
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Nee some help identifying a part.I found the leak and i need to completely replace it. It is on the drivers f/s wheel arch.
and thanks to the previous owner leaving out the wheel arch cap the insides of me car were trashed and rusty.Image
Which resulted in this
So one more thing to fix ha
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Well its been a while since i had an update. I fixed the coolant pipe leak for a total of £21.50.
I've also just started university at south bank and get the train to uni so the cars not seeing mega miles right now. It does though give me the ability to do longer term projects. During the week i'm hoping to de-rust the underside and seal it against corrosion.
(it was difficult to get good photos as the car wasn't jacked up)
and hopefully get a repalcement wing at a scrap yard for this
Also when my student finance finally arrives (2 & 1/2 weeks late right now) i will be getting a strut brace for the car as have only heard good things about it
and finally a photo of my cat
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

And why not :lol:

Keep 'em coming dude!!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Your cat looks completely unimpressed. That's a classic cat expression. The other big one is the "I'm-not-hungry-and-you're-not-interesting" look (thanks to Terry Pratchett for summing that one up)
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Well none of my plans have gone to plan and i've done something else instead of under sealing the car. I went to the scrap yard to get a wing of a white 406 estate i saw a month back. Turned up and the car had been near completely stripped (wings and all) so set about looking for a nice gear knob. The guy came over saying there was a new arrival yesterday of a white 406 saloon. Its a pristine executive model. After faffing about for ages with the wrong screw attachments i get the wing off in 2hrs. ( is it me or does Haynes not cover wing removal?)
I then come back for the boot interior cover. I was very tempted to fork out the £80 it would be for the leather seats, too comfortable.
Tidies the boot very nicely

Total cost = £14 & £1 for entry.

Will probably do the under sealing next week now
Iceman
1.6 8v

Post by Iceman »

Where did you source your coolant pipe from fella, and was it a simple diy job too change out (any tips like).......keep up the good work
NollingtonHards
2.0 16v

Iceman wrote:Where did you source your coolant pipe from fella, and was it a simple diy job too change out (any tips like).......keep up the good work
I went to a local scrappy and got the pipe for £4. I cut it off from the rubber pipes as the clips are ridiculous to get off.
Some of the pipes are sealed on by plastic seals (junior hacksaw them off taking care no to damage the pipe).
Once home i had to remover the driver side wheel arch and front bumper.
Drain the system and then unclip all the pipes connections ( you need a wrench/ grip cos the metal clips are hell to get off)and remove it from the car ( which is as easy a a rubix cube).
Then you need to attach all the pipes back up again with jubilee clips and fill the system.
All in all it is a long job but it saved be a lot of money
Iceman
1.6 8v

Post by Iceman »

NollingtonHards wrote:
Iceman wrote:Where did you source your coolant pipe from fella, and was it a simple diy job too change out (any tips like).......keep up the good work
I went to a local scrappy and got the pipe for £4. I cut it off from the rubber pipes as the clips are ridiculous to get off.
Some of the pipes are sealed on by plastic seals (junior hacksaw them off taking care no to damage the pipe).
Once home i had to remover the driver side wheel arch and front bumper.
Drain the system and then unclip all the pipes connections ( you need a wrench/ grip cos the metal clips are hell to get off)and remove it from the car ( which is as easy a a rubix cube).
Then you need to attach all the pipes back up again with jubilee clips and fill the system.
All in all it is a long job but it saved be a lot of money

Thanks for the write up, first class, hope to do some investigations tomorrow if the weather stays dry, Local Garage reported corrosion on that pipe (no leaking yet) need to look at it myself.

If you'd had access to a pit would you still need to remove the frt bumper ?
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

Iceman, you know the saying "" dont fix it if it aint broke """

you could get another year or 2 out of it before it starts leaking, 8)

that job can be done without bumper removal, set of ramps or axle stands is a must, never just use a jack :shock:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Iceman
1.6 8v

Post by Iceman »

Gary406 wrote:Iceman, you know the saying "" dont fix it if it aint broke """

you could get another year or 2 out of it before it starts leaking, 8)

that job can be done without bumper removal, set of ramps or axle stands is a must, never just use a jack :shock:
I here yer Gaz, that wise old Chinese proverb.

I call it preventative maintenance.

Found the (dry) corroded pipe today cleaned it up, touch of KuRust, Bilt Hamber Zinc Primer topped off in a Matt black finish sorry no pics was dodging the rain.
Removed the plastic clip from the back of arch liner that seems to catch the water and cause the corrosion

Also got the Aux belt changed.