Plod's HDi 140

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
plod
3.0 24v

Re: Plod's HDi 140

Post by plod »

Well, this afternoon didn't go to plan

The plastic droplinks, they were well seized on. The top wasn't too bad, but the bottoms seemed a bit fiddly to get at.
Don;t know what you guys normally do, but had to remove the caliper to do it.

On to the oil change
What a pig!!!

Undid the filter, and the threaded pipe to it's attached to came out with it - part 8 on here

Had to get the oil filter in a vice and get a pair of grips on it to undo it
Then trying to get it done back up, it proved impossible with the grips so had to go begging a 27mm spanner to get it done back up
Really hard to get any purchase on it as it got tighter so spent what felt like an age trying to make sure it was done up enough

Whilst at it, I broke the fuel filter housing again, so had to bond the pipe back on

Bit worried now it won;t last when I go off on holiday so really want one of those but £88.48 from the dealer is money i'd rather spend on holiday
Only really need the top if anyone has one
Checked ebay, and a new one can be had for £64.25
Only oroblem is that I've had a new credit card, and have had to update my paypal to link to it, and until I get a statement and get the code off it, as i've not enough to in paypal at the mo, I can't pay with paypal a they can't take the money from my credit card :(

If anyone know where I can get one for a decent price and I can pay via credit card, let me know
Guess I could get my mate to ring the dealers and ask his mate who works in parts to get it discounted?
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

On another note, I didn't do the coolant
I checked for the 3 bleed screws and could only see the one for the heater matrix pipes going through the bulkhead
Couldn't see one on the housing on right hand side of engine or the one at top of the rad :|

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

You know, you guys are allowed to reply to my posts on this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, fitted the new fuel filter housing when I got to work

After work, I live two miles away, I nipped home before going to fetch the misses from her work
As I pulled up at home I could hear a faint noise
Dropped something off, and went to get the misses
As I approached her work the noise got loader and was a low pitched humming
I then noticed the ABS light on the dashboard

I jacked the car up and took the wheel off and span the hub, and there was a grating noise coming from it
Two things spring to mind, one the ABS ring on the hub has broke, or the pins have pulled through the backplate securing the handbrake shoes, and are loose in the hub, and upsetting the sensor
I hope it's not the hub as only put two new rears on just over 12 months ago
If the pins have pulled through the backplate, it's £90 ish for a new one
Ade on the coupe club is £20 plus post for a decent second hand one, but would I get it in time to get it fitted before my holiday on saturday :shock:

Rang my mate at the motor factors and he said £63+vat for a hub, so over £75, whereas 12 months ago I paid about £45 ish !!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

plod wrote:You know, you guys are allowed to reply to my posts on this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But you seem to be enjoying yourself! :P

I'd have the disk off and invectigate, actually it sounds like the sensor rubbing on the reluctor which can't be good.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

not haveing much luck are you.
just a thought its not something simple like a stone in the brake caliper is it
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Well, I thought i'd play safe, and get my mate to get a hub in from one of his other depots in on sale or return just in case
I have to go down to Oxford to do a collection in the morning, but when I get back around dinnertime, i'll whip the hub off and inspect

Hopefully as you say Nigel, may just be a stone

Steve - well could be worse, could of happened on M5 on the way down to Devon on saturday, so I gotta look on the positive side :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the fuel filter housing - well, the one that was repaired on saturday didn't appear to be leaking, so the repair appeared to be good enough
Again, if it wasn't for the fact i'm off on saturday to Devon, I wouldn't of worried about it, and gone and fetched some more bonding agent from the motor factors as back up :)

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Started car up this morning to go to work and as expected ABS light was on
Moved about a cars length and light went out plus the noise had gone
Thought maybe a stone had got through my cheese grater backplates and got stuck in castellations and upset the sensor
I jacked car up and span the wheel and there was no noise at all

So come dinnertime instead of double checking, I went to the bank to pay off some money from my credit card
As I pulled back into work I noticed the noise was back how it first was yesterday, so drove few extra yards round car park and low and behold ABS light came back on

Got an early start tomorrow at 4am so favourite is to check it out when I get back from Kendal around dinnertime so that way I have time to get parts if needed

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

My mate offered to have a quick look for me as I was leaving work

Whipped the hub off, and one of the handbrake shoe springs had snapped, and had jammed up against the sensor
Spring was replaced, and all seems good.
Drove the 2 miles home and no noise, and no ABS light :)

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

As from my other thread - Early HDi Non Dual Mass??? - It appears the thrust bearing is on its way out, so been the dealer this morning
New clutch, lower engine mount bush, and 2litres of Total Gearbox oil, came to £146.02

Quote for fitting the clutch is £150, and as he'll have to take the mounts off to do the clutch, i'm hoping he'll only charge another tenner or so to do the mount - fingers crossed :lol:

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

a lot happening then at the moment, hope you get it fixed in time. Thats a reasonable price for the clutch, im thinking about getting the engine mounts all replaced if i decide to get the DMF to SMF conversion in my car.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Well, £180 lighter

Was quoted £150 but reckon it was a bit of a pig to do as had trouble with the subframe :frown:

Clutch is light as a feather now, but a little low for my liking

Old clutch is in the boot, and had a look at the thrust bearing, and it was shagged to put it bluntly

However they didn't do the lower engine mount, as said there wasn't anything wrong with the one on it
I didn't think there was, but bought one "just in case" as it had to come off to do the clutch

If anyone is going Gaydon saturday, and needs a lower mount, I think these are £24 odd from the stealer, but will do for £18

waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

plod wrote: However they didn't do the lower engine mount, as said there wasn't anything wrong with the one on it
I didn't think there was, but bought one "just in case" as it had to come off to do the clutch

If anyone is going Gaydon saturday, and needs a lower mount, I think these are £24 odd from the stealer, but will do for £18
I'd be a bit miffed with that to be honest. May not be anything wrong with your mount, but it would still have plenty of wear & makes more sense to put a new one on when the old one has to come off anyway rather than have to pay all the labour again a couple of years later.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Well yes and no

Yes, it saves money long term

but no, I guess he thought he was doing me a favour and trying to save me money in the short term,

So guess it's a bit 50:50

Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

At least you've got it sorted in time for the weekend, that's the main thing. 8)

Just curious, was it DMF, or not?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

[quote="plod"]Well, £180 lighter

Was quoted £150 but reckon it was a bit of a pig to do as had trouble with the subframe :frown:

Clutch is light as a feather now, but a little low for my liking

:arrowu: takes 200miles or so for them to bed in mate,
aweek or so you will have got used to the new clutch bite point, its a bit strange at first as ifound on the old 406 ihad,
kept stalling it for a day or so after ihad the work done :oops: