Project All Smoke, No Poke :)

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Project All Smoke, No Poke :)

Post by mjb »

The rubber bit looks very much like a bottom engine mount
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

steve_earwig wrote:Whah? Your has tinworm? Mine too, I patched it though. What's the deal with the rear camber? Out of adjustment or did a bush go for a Burton? WHat's that rubber object? Me no understandy!
Bottom engine mount is the rubber thing.

Car's got tin worm.

Theres a bush gone in the back.

Hopefully it will get me back and fore Yorkshire (280miles either way). Or I might get it looked at while I'm up there.

Look at the MOT expiary date though and go back a year! It passed less than a month ago!
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I was wondering about that, I thought perhaps you meant it was a dodgy one or something. Look at the top of it though - "Nid yw tystyfrif...", so it doesn't matter if the guy was drunk.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Bailes1992 wrote:Bottom engine mount is the rubber thing.
8)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Right something I did a few months ago but forgot about was I fitted a Sub...
Plan is to make a new sub box with the sub and amp in it that sits flush against the rear seats and allows me to pull up the 7 seat conversion while it's in :) Might be a few weeks till i get that done though.

As you can see in the updates above I painted the wood strips silver but I made abit of a bodge of them so they had a few defects...

I also thought my ashtray was a tad boring...

So I wetsanded everything back with 1000grit abralon disc and started from scratch...

And gave everything it's first coat and left it for 15 mins...

5-6 coats later and I'm left with this...

Plan is to wetsand them with 2000 and 4000grit and polish them up with the PC :)
Not sure weather to chuck laqure on them though? Hmmm
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

It's Autoglym Wheel Silver paint. Crap as an alloy wheel paint but brilliant for anything on the inside :) Got a lovely Matt finish to it. Although I just polished mine up bit it still looks mat, just got a slight gloss to it and feels less rough :)

Setup the PC in the vice :lol:

And this is how they come out after 2 hits with #83 on a Lake Country light cutting pad (I think) on speeds 2-3...

And this is them fitted to the car (Excuse the mess it's done about 4000miles since its last decent clean :lol:)

Now the wood strips I hated, and when I painted them silver it gave the car a much more modern feel. Now I've done the interior ashtray silver It's made the center console a bit brighter and less dull :)

Oh and this is what was left of my rear engine mount when I got it changed the other day :doublesho...
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Bailes1992 wrote:Oh and this is what was left of my rear engine mount when I got it changed the other day :doublesho...
Yeah, some bottom mount bushes come with the rubber bonded to a metal ring, which is pressed into the bracket... Way to take 'em out is to rip the rubber then buckle/cut the ring
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Yes, and never ever do it with the mount in situ (i.e. take it to the garage!)
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

hello bailes mate, did you get round to painting the glove box black , how did it turn out, any pics ? im thinking of doing mine and want to know how it looks after finished thanks mate
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
DRTDVL
1.8 16v

Post by DRTDVL »

Your intake.

if you want some colder air into it, drop the lower guard off from in front of the passengers wheel (as if you where changing a spotlight bulb) and remove the intake pipe that in there, the mouth for the intake sits almost hard against the bumper bracket. Then tweak the guard to either have some louvers or a small scoop to direct air into the area in front of the wheel arch.

There is a second water drain in the intake pipe on the engine bay side so you don't have to get paranoid about water getting in from a lower intake mouth.

I can't really comment on if it makes a massive improvement over the stock setup, as i replaced the factory setup with a pod i had laying about as the air filter that was in the car was shagged and i didn't have a spare at home. It sucked in soo much hot air it gave the car no power. With the intake mod i've done (pipe from the lower guard to the mouth of the engine bay side intake pipe with modified lower guard) and factory airfilter/airbox it's make a notable difference over the pod.
DRTDVL
1.8 16v

Post by DRTDVL »

My post i can't see to edit so here's anouther.

You can also use cable ties (i think you guys call them zip ties) to remove the stereo pref the ones about 5mm wide, but smalled will work also.
swiss
3.0 24v

Post by swiss »

My love for this thread has increased with every page. Great work Bailes and nice contributions form the forumites too. Makes me want to go tinker with mine now... or at least hoover all the crumbs, fluff, dog hair, cigarette ash, pennies, dust, leaves and god knows what else out.
The man with no car

"Close the door on your way out, and don't forget your monkey."
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Bit of a pointless update but an update for the most boring project diary on earth none the less.
Decided my wheels and arches needed a little bit of care so give them a good clean...

Before...

Wheels were sprayed with Autoclym Clean wheels and blasted off at high pressure them washed with Engine and Machine cleaner...

Then give the wheels a spray with clean wheels and cleaned the arches and tyres with engine and machine cleaner...

Then this turned up...

Wonder what it could be :D...

Great I thought, fit it to the car. This it the old instrument cluster...

So everything come out, fitted the new one in and all the gauges still working...

And then I noticed a funny light...

Looked at the old cluster and low and behold someone had pulled the bulb on the airbag light :(

Anyway I took the car round the block and straight away noticed the speedo was reading about half what it should be :( Gutted. So fitted the old speedo back in until I find out how to overcome this.

Oh and some pictures of my car tonight...
(They didnt come out as well as I was hoping :()
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

bailes there is a set of clocks that will work in your car,

the very same as what you had in originally but rev counter instead of clock, these are in my 1.9, these should work in yours
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

If the speedo is reading incorrectly, chances are someone's had the needle off and not put it back on right.
The motor that moved the needle seems to require a little torque on the needle.
So simply replacing the needle at the 0 MPH position doesn't work. I pulled the needles off the clocks on my 96' LX Saloon and when I put them back on, I put the needles on at their 0 positions. Revs and speedo were way out.

To make them read correctly, I refitted the needle onto their shafts with them pointing down at a 6-o'clock position then gently eased them clockwise over the little stop/rest needle. Then with a gps, I adjusted by taking the needle off again, turning it a fraction clockwise, refitting and testing it till it read correctly.

Fiddly, but possible.
Last edited by Blue406 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.