Drivers side passenger door

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

anggie89
1.8 8v

Re: Drivers side passenger door

Post by anggie89 »

I've opened my front carpet, and found that the water is all over. I start to dry the main connector you said, and spray it with a lot of penetrant (WD40) as a first aid.

I will open my carpet tomorow. Another question, where is the water come from? is that from the firewall hole (sounds strange), from the door seal, or from the door membrane? or there are a hole in the bottom of the car, and when I did a steam car wash ( water spray from the bottom ) the water will go through the hole?

please help me, thanks for your kind response
Phantomer

Re: Drivers side passenger door

Post by Phantomer »

I have owned my 2nd hand Peugeot 406 2L HDi 110 Executive (02 plate) since 2004 purchased with 42,500 mls on clock. It's always given me good service. You look after your car & it will look after you...until now. It rained heavily 7 days ago all windows up & car secured whilst parked up...in the morning I noticed the front passenger foot well mat had mildew on. Lifting it out, I saw that it was sodden with water. Water literally ran out from the mat. I felt the foot well carpet and found this saturated with water. I noted there were globules of water close to the front door hinges & also on the moulded plastic facia that holds the carpet in place.

To rectify the problem: I used an old towel to soak up the water by applying towel to carpet and using a heavy weight (3 house bricks). This was done 3 times. I then used a 'paint stripper' heat gun to dry the carpet ( 20 minutes). Do not apply heat directly to carpet!

I then removed the rubber seal from around the door opening (bit by bit) and hammered the metal gully so it closed the gap - thus squeezing the rubber seal from an oval shape to a round [original] shape, thus causing a proper seal.

So far, no more leaks!

p.s. make sure you change the engine oil regularly every 10,000 miles, not 12,000 as the manual advises. Mileage 140,000