Alloy Wheels - Newbie Help

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Alloy Wheels - Newbie Help

Post by highlander »

Hello,

My 406 doesn't have alloys, and the hub caps are the tattiest bit of the exterior (they're fraying, cracked at the edges, and scuffed - essentially, they look like crap). Coupled with the fact that I will need to get new tyres soon as the treads on mine are getting a bit shallow, I thought I might as well replace the wheels and the tyres. Ought to spruce up the appearance of my motor a treat.

Problem though, is that I know roughly nothing about the subject.

1) What kind of wheels should I be looking for (size, number of nuts, etc, or any particularly 406-friendly brand)?
2) Are the tyres that are supplied with alloys (i.e. those you can buy in Halfords, etc) any good, or would I be best to buy new tyres as well?
3) Do I need to tell my insurance company that I'm fitting them, and if so, how badly with that affect my premiums?
4) How do they affect the performance/handling of the car? I'm not trying to make it go faster, just wonder if there's anything I'd need to watch out for.

Any advice would be most welcome; I am a total newbie when it comes to car parts.

Cheers
Graeme
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Re: Alloy Wheels - Newbie Help

Post by DaiRees »

Are you thinking of going for bigger wheels? If not, and if I was in your position, I'd get on ebay and get a set of genuine 406 alloys, then don't worry about the insurance, "They were on there when I bought it guv, assumed they were original". If you buy after market ones then you really should inform the insurance company or it might be invalidated - I'd reckon on at least a 10% increase for a "cosmetic enhancement" :roll: .

I actually got a brand new genuine pug alloy to match mine (had a steel spare when I bought it) from ebay for £10, so there's bargains to be had 8)
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

DaiRees wrote:I'd get on ebay and get a set of genuine 406 alloys,
Exactly what I was about to suggest. They look a lot better than aftermarket alloys anyway
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, and sorry for sounding like a complete newbie (I am), but ...

My wheels are the factory-fitted standard steel wheels ... what size would they be?

Are the alloys from the 406 Coupe compatible?

How about alloys from other Peugeot models?
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
djp30djp
2.2 16v

Post by djp30djp »

406 HDI Exec Estate (2 off) & 307CC HDI Cabriolet
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Much obliged, sir - I've added them to my watch list!

I'm also watching a set of 307 wheels, which are quite nice too, and the seller assures me they'll fit the 406.
djp30djp
2.2 16v

Post by djp30djp »

Yes, they may bolt on, but if they are not 15" they may either foul the callipers or throw the speedo reading out.
Be carefull ! also found http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-Peugeot-406-Al ... 240%3A1318
406 HDI Exec Estate (2 off) & 307CC HDI Cabriolet
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Thanks to all for your replies - I've bought a set of 15" 307 Rapier alloys with 195/65/R15 tyres, so they should fit exactly the same as the bog-standard wheels.

Should get 'em by Friday, says the bloke, and then I've just got to get them fitted.