406 HDI 110 Rust / bubbling on front of bonnet?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

bjranson
1.6 8v

Re: 406 HDI 110 Rust / bubbling on front of bonnet?

Post by bjranson »

You've been warned...

If you see bubbling pain on the front lip of your bonnet, I recommend you let alone.

Here's what happened when I did a little bit of digging...

There seem to be about two layers of protection on the front lip, beyond the paintwork, that is. There is a plastic-like layer, and then a layer of what looks like zinc, before you get down to the steel. This is why it's probably a good idea to leave the bubbles alone - the upper layers are hiding the cancerous mess beneath!

As you can see in the pic, the steel was rotten to the core - I was actually able to poke a screwdriver all the way through to the inside. Pretty awful, really.

I painted on some anti-rust as best as I could (there was no way I was going to see an end to the rotted mess), filled it in painted it over with some touch up paint. I didn't see the point in doing a really nice and careful spray job on it, since it's only going to come through again in a couple of months.

Needless to say, I'll be leaving the rest of the bubbles alone.

I guess with the design flaw in the 406 bonnet its just a matter of time before the whole lip rots through. Sad.
------------------------------------------------
Silver 2002 D9 HDi 110 Estate
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

bjranson wrote:You've been warned...

If you see bubbling pain on the front lip of your bonnet, I recommend you let alone.

Here's what happened when I did a little bit of digging...

There seem to be about two layers of protection on the front lip, beyond the paintwork, that is. There is a plastic-like layer, and then a layer of what looks like zinc, before you get down to the steel. This is why it's probably a good idea to leave the bubbles alone - the upper layers are hiding the cancerous mess beneath!

As you can see in the pic, the steel was rotten to the core - I was actually able to poke a screwdriver all the way through to the inside. Pretty awful, really.

I painted on some anti-rust as best as I could (there was no way I was going to see an end to the rotted mess), filled it in painted it over with some touch up paint. I didn't see the point in doing a really nice and careful spray job on it, since it's only going to come through again in a couple of months.

Needless to say, I'll be leaving the rest of the bubbles alone.

I guess with the design flaw in the 406 bonnet its just a matter of time before the whole lip rots through. Sad.
Re: hole in bonnet,

you wouid be best Grinding that out, Dremel perhaps,
Fill it with JB-weld and itl set like iron,

looks like someones filled /bogged that in the past with ispon or simalar hence it rusting back through,
bigsmudger

Post by bigsmudger »

My 2001 Y reg has got a few rust bubbles along the tip of the bonnet above the grill, I just put it down to the fact its covered 249k miles. strange to hear newer lower milage 406's suffering too.
flyin2wheeler
1.8 16v

Post by flyin2wheeler »

I have a 04 406 and also rusty bonnet along the front
for sure...its a problem that starts on the inside and works its way out in my case
i have just touched it up externally with some paint and then sprayed wax oil behind it inside the bonnet cavity.
its a bit late now for wax oil i know but it will keep things at bay a little longer.
only spot of rust on my car....although if my water leak persisits inside the car it will be a floor pan il be after :frown:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

flyin2wheeler wrote:I have a 04 406 and also rusty bonnet along the front
for sure...its a problem that starts on the inside and works its way out in my case
i have just touched it up externally with some paint and then sprayed wax oil behind it inside the bonnet cavity.
its a bit late now for wax oil i know but it will keep things at bay a little longer.
only spot of rust on my car....although if my water leak persisits inside the car it will be a floor pan il be after :frown:

get the carpet up and waxoyl it mate, :roll:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

bjranson wrote: Image

There seem to be about two layers of protection on the front lip, beyond the paintwork, that is. There is a plastic-like layer, and then a layer of what looks like zinc, before you get down to the steel. .............
Sorry but that is not a 'plastic layer' on the bonnet why would you have that? that is body filler from a previous ding/scrape and the bonnet has rusted because of a poor repair job in my opinion :|

Oh, this is from 2011 so a bit late now but might be useful to someone?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
flyin2wheeler
1.8 16v

Post by flyin2wheeler »

Welly wrote:
bjranson wrote: Image

There seem to be about two layers of protection on the front lip, beyond the paintwork, that is. There is a plastic-like layer, and then a layer of what looks like zinc, before you get down to the steel. .............
Sorry but that is not a 'plastic layer' on the bonnet why would you have that? that is body filler from a previous ding/scrape and the bonnet has rusted because of a poor repair job in my opinion :|

Oh, this is from 2011 so a bit late now but might be useful to someone?
definetley...that cars loaded with disguise o pon on the bonnet
(i do car body repair for a living)
id get either a good used silver bonnet from a breakers or a non gen bonnet,paint it and then wax oil every cavity of the bonnet and you should get a good few years service from it,we do that all the time with cars at our workshop as folk dont wanna fork out for the genuine panel
eg-a wing for a 206-non gen £18 + vat
gen uine...its possibly about 100
a car of that age,id go the non genuine bonnet way.
biggest prob with that silver(EZR) gris aluminium.....its a cnut to match