Front door closing sound

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

2.0 16v

Front door closing sound

Post by 486 »

My driver's door is rattling when closing - the other doors are closing with normal deaden sound. In addition, often the door is not fully closed from first time - I have to open and shut it again. I am not sure whether this depends on seal rubber or need adjustment of hinges. The straight seal at bottom has a leak but not sure it can be the main problem.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Front door closing sound

Post by steve_earwig »

Rattle? Something loose inside? If the door lines up with the other panels don't touch the hinges. Seals can be a problem but that only usually happens when they've been replaced - new ones are stiff to start off. Latch, did you ever lubricate it? Might seem daft but a lot of people don't think of it. Are the hinge pins worn? Does the door need to raise up with it's shut? Can you actually hold the latch end of the door and lift the whole door? (clunk, clunk). I've not seen this since Mk4 Cortinas but everything wears out eventually.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Try spraying the door seals with silicone lubricant, the seals themselves can cause noise if parts are sticking together.

Peter
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

steve_earwig wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm Rattle? Something loose inside?
No, nothing inside. English is not my native language and not sure what word to use. The door's sound is like old car without good seals - not like hit between 2 metal parts but maybe metal to wood or metal to plastic without rubber between them. Below is the state of bottom seal. Other rubber parts look ok.
Attachments
2.jpg
(142.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

The bottom seal only stops water splashing up under the door, although it's quite important as its fixing holes open into the sill, if any clips are missing the water enters the sill, then the water either drains out of the drain holes, or if they're blocked (most seem to be) it sloshes about until the sill corrodes through, and only then will it exit - this might help clarify http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... ins#p78625

I guessed you're not using your native language, I have the same problem where I live (and have all the linguistic abilities of a dead frog). I just wanted to clarify what you actually meant. Your door goes CLANG! rather than clunk.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

OK. But what can be the reason for the clang? Maybe there is procedure for correct adjustment of doors. Is it possible that strap hinge stopper is the reason? Now it is missing on driver's door until I mount a new one, but I think the door sound was the same when this hinge stopper was ok.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

When you shut the door there is a catch plate screwed into the body kinda like this ]

You can adjust the position of the catch up/down and side-to-side this might make the door close nicely.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
2.0 16v

Post by 486 »

Thanks. I will try.