Underbody frame rail damage due to improper jacking

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

pugmax
1.8 8v

Underbody frame rail damage due to improper jacking

Post by pugmax »

My 406 under body frame rail damaged due to improper jacking. When I kept my car at garage to paint sills, somebody has jacked up the car using frame rail. If I were there at that time I would never permit him to jack the car up by using frame rails. I have attached some photos of the damage and before damage photos i have taken when I am inspecting the car before purchasing. I worried so much when I saw this. Should I be worried about the damage according to photos? any bad impact? What should I do? Is it possible to repair the damage (pulling out the dent) without any mess?

Frame rail before damage:

Photos after damage:

deMarcel
1.6 8v

Re: Underbody frame rail damage due to improper jacking

Post by deMarcel »

Wow, that's nasty. I have jacked up my coupe using the frame rails a few times but this never happened - I guess they're much stronger than on the other 406 variants then?
Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Prins VSI LPG, galileo green

Coupe 2.0 EW10 manual, Vialle LPG, polaris blue

Coupe 3.0 ES9J4S automatic, settant anni no. 0076, hades grey
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I think I'd be really pissed if someone did that to my 406 :frown:

I think that probably won't have any effect on the structure of the car (not that I have any experience or qualifications in this area). You could maybe push it out by drilling through the floor pan -but- as you say, it'll be messy. The proper way would be to cut it off, straighten it, and weld it back on (hideously costly and messy too). It'll also depend if the garage is admiring fault, if they're paying then the ball's in your court.

Other than that, I'd be concerned with the damage to rust-proofing, it won't effect integrate how it is but add a little rust...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
pugmax
1.8 8v

Post by pugmax »

Should I correct this or live with this?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

As above, live with it unless the garage are admitting liability and willing to have it repaired properly. I think I'd also squirt some Waxoyl (or similar) in there to mitigate any damage to rustproofing.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
pugmax
1.8 8v

Post by pugmax »

Thanks steve_earwig for you replies.

Can somebody who is an expert in body works kindly confirm that this does have any impact on structure. If not I can leave it as it is without repairing to save money for unnecessary repair. :(