Tailgate won't latch

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

Nandad
1.8 16v

Tailgate won't latch

Post by Nandad »

Another niggle. D8 Estate. The tailgate will not latch, all other locks work on phip and key. Using a bungee to keep the thing closed.
I have tried all the suggestions I have found on the site but no joy. Solenoid operates, Key turns as normal. Outside handle moves as usual.
Then brainwave put a pen into the latch mechanism on the lock, moves ok just will not stay in the engaged position. All the lock operating rods are ok
Is this going to be a replacement lock?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Tailgate won't latch

Post by Doggy »

I would guess so, but with any luck you'll only need to change the latch mechanism. Might be worth giving it a good spray in WD40 to see if you can free it off.
Mine had a habit of not latching when I first got the car, but after 6 months or so of sympathetic* ownership, it seemed to get it's act together. :?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Nandad
1.8 16v

Re: Tailgate won't latch

Post by Nandad »

Taken the latch off of the car and the actuator rod had worn the connection hole on the latch into a slot . Compared it to another lock from the scrappys and that sorted it. I busted the plastic dodah which locks the rod into the door handle - Another trip coming on.
Thanks for the imfo