Door locks

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

Buck347
1.6 8v

Door locks

Post by Buck347 »

Hi, for a while now my locks have been getting stiffer (the key won't turn)
This was only a slight issue and after a second or two they worked fine.
Tonight however neither the drivers side or the passenger side would unlock.
I was able to climb through the boot and into the car however this doesn't help as even from the inside the locks refuse to open. Presumably this is a security thing as the car was locked with a key therfore must be unlocked the same way.
The car will start and drive ok but the only way out of it is via the tailgate.
I have to be able to open the doors in order to change the locks if need be but how?

All ideas and suggestions welcome.

Best wishes and happy new year Buck
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Door locks

Post by steve_earwig »

Did you try squirting WD in them? I'm surprised they're not just spinning (or are they?)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, ideally you need to unlock the car with the locks, hopefully this will de-activate the deadlocks.

WD40 in the locks, wiggle the key in the locks, tap the door with your fist as you turn the key etc etc - try everything - even from inside the car..!!

It is possible to remove the door cards when the doors are shut, but you can only move the rods which is what the handle does anyway. I'm not sure if unplugging the wiring on the locks will do anything?

If you manage to get the locks working, find someone with PP2000 to turn off the deadlocking so it won't happen again - people don't steal old 406s nowadays.. :wink:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Buck347
1.6 8v

Post by Buck347 »

Hi thanks for the reply's. Wd40 was the 1st thing I tried but no joy.
The locks sometimes just spin until they eventually come to a solid stop. Usually a little more pressure on the key at that point forces the lock to open but not now. Worse is its both doors.
I've also tried gently tapping the key to try to free the lock but that didn't help.
I'll try again tomorrow hopefully the wd will of done something.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

If the barrel just spins, try pointing the key sort of 'up' when its in the barrel before turning it...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Buck347
1.6 8v

Post by Buck347 »

Hi thanks for the replys.

Just to update the wd40 did nothing and now both locks just spin. I have managed to get the doors open as driving it 100 yards caused the dead locks to come off and the central locking to work normally. I still cant lock the car so security is a big issue but there's nothing worth pinching in the car and as mentioned above people tend not to bother with old 406's

At least now i can get the door panels off and get to the lock to see what's going on.

ANY IDEAS welcome :roll:
GingerMagic wrote:If the barrel just spins, try pointing the key sort of 'up' when its in the barrel before turning it...

Will try this tomorrow but i'm sure i've had the keys in a million different ways lol :D
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Can't offer much help I'm afraid, I've no experience of deadlocks but I just wanted to mention even a good lock will reject the right key if it's 180 degrees out. SO if you're gently trying the key and it spins, try it again when it's upside-down.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.