drivers side water ingress.

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

annie
2.0 16v

drivers side water ingress.

Post by annie »

first time its rained since i bought this 1999 2.0hdi 90 estate. loads of water in footweell this morning. its come over the top seal. the water is sitting in the groovein the door seal and leaking by.

also there is a lot of wind noise from that door at speed. has the top of the door been bent out to gain access to the car and now is leaking past the top part of the door seal and maybe down the inside of the door and over the bottom part of the door seal. if this makes sense..... where would i by a new seal and bend the door back
annie
2.0 16v

Re: drivers side water ingress.

Post by annie »

the top of the door from the outside is fine and sitting properly so water is getting past the seal or down the door inside maybe
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I believe the water is designed to run down the inside of the door skin, and out through the drain holes in the bottom of the door.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

how is it getting over the door seal at the bottom. cant find a new seal . may have to ring peugeot for a price....ouch
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Maybe the weather shield ( the white plastic sheet behind the door card ) is missing and coming through this way?
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

will look at taking door card off then. worth a look.
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

I snipped a bit out of the rubber seal on mine where you see the water sat. Fixed the wet carpet with no noticeable affects.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

ill try that. i cant seem to find a new seal anywhere and still waiting for pug to get back to me.

i took off the door card and all in intact and bone dry so itmust be coming in through the top part of the door seal and congregating at the lowest point of the seal. the carpet was dry before the rain but it was a massive shower. waiting for a light downppour to see if it over whelms the seals again.

could it be a dropped door pin or hinge. investigating today and i can move the door upwards of 10-15mm when fully extended... is this an easy fix with just a simple pin replacement with doors off does anyone know...
annie
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Annie, there are no pins in the door hinges - there is a slight recess/dip for the hinge part to sit in the body part while you do the bolts up, one going up through the top hinge, one going down through the bottom hinge.

You can undo the the hinges a tiny bit and move the door up and then tighten the hinges ( there will be missing paint to determine how much you have moved the hinge ), or you can lift the latch up by .5mm or so.

If the door sits flush when shut, no water coming through the door, then its either the windscreen ( have you checked the drains in the scuttle? ) or the door rubber on the back door if you were facing downhill...... :cheesy:
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

so if it drops when open and needs a hard shove to seat properly i presume the slack is wear and tear and would need a new hinge?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the bolts that fix the hinge to the door also act as 'pins' while the dip in the hinge could also wear and increase in size making things a bit slack, so I guess they could wear with time.

Maybe swap the bolts/pins from the back door onto the front door and see if it fixes it..?

Do not over-tighten them of they will shear ( :oops: ) and it can be a pig to get it out...
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

thanks for help. will look into it at the weekend. so far no rain for a week
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

after ive butchered the door seal , all is dry after a few hours of good rain.
not the end of the fix as really need new seal and rehang door with tighter hinges but a victory none the less
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Annie, I have just been out to donor car to get a part for Nick, and while I was there I removed the drivers door seal, and the trim that goes from the windscreen to the top of the 2 doors.

Donor car hasn't moved in over a year ( the missus is getting very fed up of now with her subtle* digs.. ) and the inside carpet is bone dry.

They are yours if you want them.
annie
2.0 16v

Post by annie »

that would be fantastic...let me know how much you want. where are you or can you post.. had a good look at the door today and the bottom hinge has a bolt through like a hinge pin and that was loose. i tightened that up a fair bit and the play has decreased significantly in the top hinge and the wind noise now starts at 80 and not 30 like before, so with a new seal all should be fixed