Front Fog Replacement

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

bjranson
1.6 8v

Front Fog Replacement

Post by bjranson »

Hi, I just sold my D9 to a friend, but days before the sale, the passenger side fog lamp cover got smashed. The lamp still works, but I promised my friend that I'd get it replaced as it obviously looks a mess.

In looking online (http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/475735201/p/home), it's unclear to me whether the lamp is a complete unit including cover, or whether the cover was separate. My guess is that it's a complete unit, but just wanted to check here before I ordered.

Can anyone confirm this?
------------------------------------------------
Silver 2002 D9 HDi 110 Estate
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: Front Fog Replacement

Post by rwb »

Hi,

It is indeed a complete unit.

There are some posts on here about replacing them. Just three screws, and the top one is a bit of a faff to get to.

Here's a scrap one I got drying out after being washed.
Attachments
20130111_164440-1.jpg
(32.37 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
bjranson
1.6 8v

Post by bjranson »

Thanks muchly! I shall now order with confidence.
------------------------------------------------
Silver 2002 D9 HDi 110 Estate
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

Upper bolt is a pig to remove... Will probably turn over and over and will struggle to be removed ... :?
Bad ass boys drive badass toys.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Yes, it is a pig.

When I did mine to clean the insides out, I kinda sat upright with both legs under the car, while reaching under/behind with the right hand on a decent length screwdriver with a torx bit, and the left hand 'fingering' for the bolt. It is possible, it took about 30 mins to do one foglight, but its a right Cnut to get the bolt back in again. I removed the grill looking for every other way of accessing the bolt but the 'reach around' method worked best.

Its quite easy to remove the front bumper and get to it that way, I didn't cos I'm a stubborn bugger...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Pugi4o6
1.8 8v

Post by Pugi4o6 »

It took me several hours of laying on the ground under the car because of that bolt... Finally it gave in... Did a lot of swearing too :mrgreen: It helped :supafrisk:
Bad ass boys drive badass toys.
hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

Post by hullcitytilidie »

GingerMagic wrote:Yes, it is a pig.

When I did mine to clean the insides out, I kinda sat upright with both legs under the car, while reaching under/behind with the right hand on a decent length screwdriver with a torx bit, and the left hand 'fingering' for the bolt. It is possible, it took about 30 mins to do one foglight, but its a right Cnut to get the bolt back in again. I removed the grill looking for every other way of accessing the bolt but the 'reach around' method worked best.

Its quite easy to remove the front bumper and get to it that way, I didn't cos I'm a stubborn bugger...
I've just replaced both my foglights today with new units. I was dreading the drivers side one after reading up all the stuff on the forums, youtube etc. I finally decided against bumper removal, headlight removal, washer bottle removal methods and go with GingerMagic as I'm a stubborn bugger too!

After jacking up the car removing roadwheel and supporting, I removed the three small torx screws holding wheel arch liner, peeled it back and held it away using breeze block to stop it springing back onto my face. Removed 2 bigger torx bolts holding foglight bottom brackets. After trying various screwdrivers including a flexible drive one, I dismissed them all for a chubby ratchet one with extender so length was 8'' - perfect. I found that if you lay in front of the car - in line with tyres, feet pointing on drivers side and head below the foglight, you can see the upper bracket. Then with right hand around the back of lamp and left controllingthe bumper and lamp bottom, you feel around for the screw. If you wear a headlamp you can see if you just miss the bracket by the screwdriver end appearing over the lamp rim and it is then easy to readjust and find the bolt. Important whilst undoing is to maintain pressure while left hand pushes lamp inwards. Bingo.

I forsaw the replacement problem from GM's post and came up with a solution. Do not replace bottom bolts first - go for the top one. Superglue top bolt on the inside of the captive washer and fix bolt to new lamp - have a cup of tea. Then wiggle lamp into place using your left hand until you see the bolt go into place. Hand over the top again to feel for bolt and tighten. Then replace bottom bolts. Regards Geoff.
2003 2.2 HDi 136 Exec estate.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

:arrowu: Holly thread resurrection batman :cheesy: :arrowu:
Glad you got it sorted, & thanks for the info :D
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Geoff, glad my advice from over 2 years ago was useful.
I no longer have a 406, as I now have a T4 as a family vehicle - not a patch on the 406 but it's more suitable for our needs.
If your fogs are not damaged, you can clean the inside of the glass out and sell them on - may get a bit of money back.
Kelv
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

Post by hullcitytilidie »

GingerMagic wrote:Hi Geoff, glad my advice from over 2 years ago was useful.
I no longer have a 406, as I now have a T4 as a family vehicle - not a patch on the 406 but it's more suitable for our needs.
If your fogs are not damaged, you can clean the inside of the glass out and sell them on - may get a bit of money back.
Kelv
Just bought the car - 4 years younger and a hundred thousand less on the clock then my other, so this one should last for a good few years! :D One of the lamps was smashed and looks to have been driven around for a few years judging by its state. I'm surprised it had gone through an MOT like that? I know it's not a checkable item but the broken glass edges were quite dodgy. I already was gifted one new lamp so it was just a matter of another from the bay for £25 which made a good job done cheap. Regards Geoff.
2003 2.2 HDi 136 Exec estate.