NSR Footwell Wet

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

gumby6371
3.0 24v

NSR Footwell Wet

Post by gumby6371 »

I noticed I had a damp carpet in the NSR footwell on friday after some heavyish rain so I had a good look on Saturday.
Sill seal is fine and I completely removed the door seal and inspected that and it was in good condition.
Door drains look clear but I did notice the check strap was wet but that shouldn't be getting passed the door seal should it?
Cleaned all the gunk out and refitted everything and assumed I had a loose grommet or plug in the floor and it was coming from underneath whilst driving.
Felt a bit dodgy yesterday so had a day off in front of the tv while it rained on and off all day, took the little one to school this morning and the carpet was soaked!
Is it worth using some sort of sealant under the door seal??
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: NSR Footwell Wet

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Gareth, funnily enough my OSR carpet was sopping wet recently - I assumed one of the kids had spilled a drink or something...

I saw no damage on my seal either, and also checked the rubber strips down the door frame, door drains were clear so I was a bit stumped. I did notice, however, a trickle of water when I opened the door, running into the car over the plastic inner sill carpet holder thingy, although it was just a trickle mind.

I swapped this seemingly perfect seal with the one from donor car and despite it lashing down for 2 days, my carpet remains dry.. :cheesy:

There must be a failing in your seal, look for trickles as you open the door when its raining lots...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

I stripped most of the seals from my donor before it went except for....... :oops:
I'll have to see if it's going under or over the seal. Under and I can plug the gaps, over is going to be a bit trickier!
2003 2.2 HDI SE
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

There was a similar thing on a thread a while ago, one member made a slight cut in the seal near the leak point but on the outside part only. This acted as a guide for the rain water to follow out of the car instead of inside the car.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Now all I need is a dry day and a hose pipe!
2003 2.2 HDI SE
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Quick update, after a few wet days of testing I have cured the wet carpet!

On close inspection all seals are working perfectly but I noticed water just under the door card so I popped it off. At this point I remembered a summer evening of faffing about with a sticky check strap on the same door. It would appear the inner seal had lost all its bonding ability due to my tinkering and was happily directing any rain under the card and over the seal and into the footwell.
A rummage through the shed for a suitable bonding agent followed and I now have a nice bead of B&Q kitchen and bathroom sealant keeping my carpets dry :cheesy:
Just hope it doesn't need to come off any time soon!!!
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I remember my rear doors were always stiff to use, never did get to the bottom of it. Glad you fixed the leak though that would be a PITA through the winter for sure.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work