Broken mirror hinge / colour swap on mirrors

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

munkymanmatt
1.8 16v

Broken mirror hinge / colour swap on mirrors

Post by munkymanmatt »

Hi all, a quick one hopefully!

My drivers side wing mirror was damaged recently, the hinge has snapped. Can I get a mirror of any colour and swap the coloured panel at the back or swap the hinge (the black plastic bit)? Or am I doomed to buy an overpriced mirror of the right colour?
1996 1.9TD SVDT in China Blue
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Re: Broken mirror hinge / colour swap on mirrors

Post by gumby6371 »

The covers pop off mate.
The main body is the same for leccy and manual mirrors so you just need to swap the gubbins over if you can't get the same one.
A bit fiddly but if I can do it ........ :cheesy:
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

A replacement mirror is only 3 screws and a clip to swap over - changing the gubbins is do-able but straight swap is far easier.

The mirror backs swap over but you will need to remove the glass to release the clips or it'll break off not 'pop' off... put the glass back in before 'popping' old cover on the new mirror ( you need to be able to lift the clip to slide the glass on from above, which you can't do if the back is on. )

non-mux, semi-mux and full-mux have different wiring I believe, but the mirror body is the same - try to get one from the same year as yours to be sure... 8)
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
munkymanmatt
1.8 16v

Post by munkymanmatt »

Ok grand, cheers for that! Would there be any issue putting a D9 mirror onto a D8? obviously they wont match, but will the mounting screws fit? and will the loom just be plug and play or will it need re-wiring?
1996 1.9TD SVDT in China Blue