Door swap from estate to saloon (EDIT) crash damage

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

munkymanmatt
1.8 16v

Door swap from estate to saloon (EDIT) crash damage

Post by munkymanmatt »

Can I pull the front driver's side door off a D8 estate and fit it to a D8 saloon?
Seems likely but just wanted to check.
Cheers

EDIT

may as well put up pics of what happened. Muppet in a van reversed into me. Looks like I should be able to do a straight swap if I can get a blue door with electric mirror/window. Can't see any evidence of crumpling in the door sill but I haven't looked thoroughly yet. Mirror is snapped off it's hinge so it's no good but I could cannibalise the glass and motor if needed. Window only goes down so far before it gets stopped by the door itself. Should be able to get some parts out of the door as well if needed and the door card is fine too. So really I just need the door frame, window parts and mirror?
Attachments
image2.jpg
1996 1.9TD SVDT in China Blue
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Door swap from estate to saloon (EDIT) crash damage

Post by steve_earwig »

Ouch! Oh bugger :( I hope you got their number :frown:

According to Service Box they're the same thing, D8 &9 too but I know there's a difference in how the rubber window strip fits - on a D8 it's a clip, on the D9 a rivet.
munkymanmatt wrote:with electric mirror/window
Not important as you can swap it over (shame about the mirror tho.)
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

That's a pisser!

Can't help with the bits but I have swapped the guts of a D8 wing mirror from leccy to manual so it should work the other way around. If the colour coded cover is still serviceable it means any D8 mirror will do which should make it easy to get those bits at least.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Best to get a complete door. It is just a case of undoing the harness, the 2 torx for the check-strap and then 2 torx on the door hinges. The hinges are 'dipped' so the door can still sit in place while you undo the bolts - make sure you wind your window down a bit first as it gives you a decent handhold.

When its fitted you can swap the mirror, locks at your own convenience.

A D9 door will fit but I believe the colour code is different - its worth checking first.

Its a kick in the teeth it happened though. Have you tried pushing the worst of it out so you can use the window?
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
munkymanmatt
1.8 16v

Post by munkymanmatt »

I'll need a new mirror with the door, the current mirror was snapped off it's hinge, the shell is no use but the internals are fine. Thing is if I get a new door with a manual mirror there might be a bit of tricky wiring work i.e. threading cables through the door frame into the mirror?
Haven't bothered trying to push the dents out, I've no tools with me as I recently moved away from home and all my tools are back home, can't even get the door card off by myself at the moment. The door barely closes now so would need serious bending for it to be a snug fit again. The paint is breaking off in spots now too and the bumper strip is stuffed as well. On top of that the speaker in my door was knackered already.
My guess is it will be easier to do a straight swap!

The other party will be paying for it anyway, it's 100% his fault and I've got the claim in for it. Car is being written off as Cat C.
1996 1.9TD SVDT in China Blue