Water ingress Hdi estate

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

PeterN
3.0 24v

Water ingress Hdi estate

Post by PeterN »

Thanks to a direction to your reference section by a member I was able to find the cause of my electrics failure, it was water in the connectors under the driver footwell mat, that is all fine now but I would like to know where the water was getting in, the front and rear drivers side carpets are soaking wet.

It looks as though water has been running down the inside of the rear door from a leaky seal under the gutter, but theoretically it shouldn't be able to get into the car passed the rubber seal - or should it? It doesn't have a sunroof so that won't be the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks. Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Water ingress Hdi estate

Post by Doggy »

Other people have had blocked drain holes allowing water to build up in one of the doors, spilling into the interior on hills or corners. Missing sections of door seal can also do it, or maybe even the customary floppy bit of seal where the drivers foot catches it getting in or out of the car, (the cure for this one is replacing the clips which are pennies from Peugeot).

IIRC some people have also had water accumulate in the sills and find it's way inside the car.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Thanks, I will check that, I have not heard any water in the doors or sills but its certainly worth a look.

Peter
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

Water can find its way past the door seal at the bottom front corner. I Don't know the exact track it follows to work its way past, but I often used to open the passenger door of mine after a heavy down pore to find a little rivulet of water running over the top of the plastic sill capping.

I think it is highly dependent on the angle the car is parked at, so park in your usual place, run a hose round the door then see if you can detect any evidence. using talcum powder can help (http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/water-leak.html)

I have since cut a groove in the rubber seal to encourage the water to flow out rather than in at that point which so far seems to be doing ok.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

My son borrowed the car yesterday to go to Cornwall, he said that after descending a long hill and braking a pool of water suddenly appeared in the drivers footwell. That would suggest to me that its coming from the back. Last night I parked it at quite a steep upward angle and a pool of water appeared under the rear by way of the sill drains and the pool of water in the rear of the car disappeared - any thoughts?

Peter
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

PeterN wrote:My son borrowed the car yesterday to go to Cornwall, he said that after descending a long hill and braking a pool of water suddenly appeared in the drivers footwell. That would suggest to me that its coming from the back. Last night I parked it at quite a steep upward angle and a pool of water appeared under the rear by way of the sill drains and the pool of water in the rear of the car disappeared - any thoughts?

Peter
Sounds like the water is draining out of the sill drains.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I would agree but there doesn't seem to be water in them. At least I have found out how to get it out, there is a bung in the floor. 8)

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

There should be a bung type grommet thing about 2" from each jacking point towards the centre of the car.

Mine were undersealed over so I just drilled a tiny hole at the front of each sill to drain out all the water that went in during the floods, I have since fixed my sill strips :oops:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Is that where your water was getting in, what did you do to them?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I bought new sill strips from Peugeot, about £22 each side plus about 40 clips which are only a few pence each.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Oh right, thanks