Sill touch up?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

scotty73
3.0 24v

Sill touch up?

Post by scotty73 »

Nice day today so gave the car a wash but once clean i noticed part of my sill has bubbled and the paint has came off (no bigger than a 50p) but it's left a nice 50p size rust spot, maybe a bit bigger if i pick at it.

How best to treat this?
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Sill touch up?

Post by steve_earwig »

I had something similar on my D8, I splodged some undersqueal on it and resolved to do something about it "later". Later turned out to be 4 years when a big lump of the sill fell off... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6864&hilit=+extermin8

This really depends where the rust came from, if it's just surface rust due to a stone chip then scrape/grind back to bare metal, fill & paint as for a dent. If it's come from the inside things may already be worse than you think...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

It's on the outside just below the pillar, looking at it and gently easing some of the bubble back revealed bare metal under said paint so the rust spot is just where it's been exposed over winter... All feels solid i just don't want it getting any worse.

I do have a pot of mixed paint ready but don't fancy the rubbing n grinding (for once) :roll: :lol:

If that's what it takes though I'll have a go tomorrow.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
trufflehunt
3.0 24v

Post by trufflehunt »

I'd scrape it back to bare metal as far as possible.
Then some rust converter. Most are phosphoric acid bashed I think. I've used Kurust, and also
a now deleted product called Jenolite.
Some primer, preferably etch.
Then colour coat.

That should sort it.
If rust starts bursting through in a few weeks,
then that probably means the sill is rusting from the inside out.
2006 Toyota Yaris 1.0 T3
1993 Mazda MX5 Mk1 1.6
2000 "W" HDI 110 Executive Saloon (Recycled).
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

Oh fuckit, just been out to check the bit i noticed yesterday that looks fine but noticed further along the sill a big bubble...Little tap with my key it went straight through the outer sill... press with my finger around it and i feel crumbling...Blx. :cry:

scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

steve_earwig wrote:I had something similar on my D8, I splodged some undersqueal on it and resolved to do something about it "later". Later turned out to be 4 years when a big lump of the sill fell off... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6864&hilit=+extermin8
Mate of mine just went at my car with his grinder and hey presto i got pretty much the same hole you had....It's even the same side and same colour car. :roll: