Are manual (non-remote) door-keys available?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

Menophanes
1.8 16v

Are manual (non-remote) door-keys available?

Post by Menophanes »

My problem here is that I have got one car, one key and one working front-door lock. The car is needed five or six days a week, so that I cannot send the key away for repair. The key itself is comprehensively disembowelled and can only be used in the locks themselves. Until now I have not felt the lack of a remote-locking facility, since I have never yet owned a car which had this in working order; but lately the lock on the driver's side (despite liberal applications of WD40) has decided not to turn in either direction, so that I have now got a strong incentive to reinstate the remote-locking system if I can. (As I generally have to park hard-up against a wall, my only option just now is to park with the passenger side outward and wriggle across the seats in order to get out: not a jolly prospect for one the windy side of sixty.)

I know from other postings that obtaining a new remote-enabled key from the manufacturers is both costly and complex. My key (image below) is of a type which is apparently incompatible with the repair kits commonly sold on eBay. What I am thinking of, therefore, is to obtain a plain (non-remote) key. If such a thing is available, I shall then be able to use it in the car while sending the original key to one of the repair services which have been mentioned here in the past. My question, therefore, is whether anybody knows a source for such a key.

The car is a 2001 90HDI; I can of course supply the VIN if necessary. I have tried to have a spare key cut, but it seems that the ordinary locksmith or key-cutting booth cannot deal with keys of this kind.

Oliver Mundy.
406_key.jpg
(17.59 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
"Don't rush ahead when you can't see ahead. Ahead is the place collisions come from." (De Dion owner's manual, 1913)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Are manual (non-remote) door-keys available?

Post by Welly »

I'm not sure you can have just a normal plain key because inside most of these things is a Chip which talks to the Immobiliser allowing the car to start.

Others should be able to advise further on this?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
markw
2.0 Turbo

Post by markw »

Couldn't you get a plain key cut, then take the immobiliser chip out of your damaged key and insert it in the plain key? That way would keep you mobile and would allow for the other key to be sent away for repair. The repairers don't need the chip in to do their bit as they're only dealing with the RF remote locking side of things.
The chip is a stand alone passive thing...not connected to anything inside the key.....as long as the new 'manual' key has the same shaped receptacle inside to house the chip, it should work ok.
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

DOn't quote me on this but I think you should be able to pick up another remote and code it to your car by using PP2K via the code on the card (if available...) I suspect the transponder chip will need moving across as it's not the same system (or is it? :? ) as obviously will the blade (but they're not part of the remote like the yoyo's is)

Don't need your vin as that key says semi-mux D9, D8's look similar but they have a hole in the blade near the end.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
nutski
2.0 Turbo

Post by nutski »

You should be able to get key with a blank blade off ebay for about £5, if you do not have the 4 digit code there are sites that will supply this for about £22 if you give them your VIN, then you need a transponder chip, i'm not 100% where it crossed over but i think it might be an ID46 (i use these on my 02 and 03 cars), possibly an ID45, you can get the key itself cut at your local key shop for around £5 and then use PP2000 to code the new key/transponder combo....

Optionally, i have seen my local Timpsons doing coded keys half price occasionally for £30-£40 which might be an option too
1997 2.1 TD Exec (Sold)
1997 3.0 V6 Coupe S (Sold)
2001 406 HDi 110 GTX (Sold)
2002 406 Coupe HDi SE (RIP)
2003 406 Estate HDi 2.2 SE (Sold)
2003 406 Coupe HDi SE (To be sold)
2001 406 Coupe 3.0 V6 SE
2003 406 2.2 HDi SE
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

I believe a full remote key from your dealer will cost up to 150 quid. I only had one key come with my 406 when i bought it and did worry about what would happen if i lost it ~ have never lost one in 40 years but there is always a first time. I got a Transponder key from my dealer for, if i remember correctly, 60 quid. This opens the car manually and starts the engine etc. I am not fussed about it not having remote operation, remote central locking is purely a convenience that we have grown used to expect, most of us who are now of Bus Pass age have spent most of our driving life quite happily doing without that particular convenience.

PS Sold the 02 Pug 405hdi above in December, replaced it with another 406, an 03 hdi with half the mileage ~ but just one key again, see next post below for 25 quid keys.
Last edited by oldcol on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menophanes
1.8 16v

Post by Menophanes »

Thanks to all those who have offered suggestions. I have been away for a week and am only now able to catch up with correspondence. I shall probably treat myself to a transponder key as a new-year present.

Oliver Mundy.
"Don't rush ahead when you can't see ahead. Ahead is the place collisions come from." (De Dion owner's manual, 1913)
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

Just had one copied at Timpsons. A non remote one with the immobiliser chip correctly coded for £35. Perfect as a spare or get you out of trouble type thing.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

Hi, yes there are manual keys available through the Peugeot dealership. these are called Transponder keys. They incorporate a 'chip' which the dealer programs to your specific car which allows you to open the doors and lock them and start the car but does not include the remote transmitter. they are still not cheap but are less than half the price of a remote key. You can order one from your dealer (he will probably want to see your V5 and drivers licence).

I was interested to read the answer about Timpsons as we have one near us and i could do with a spare. A pug dealer would probably near double that price.
Just put my faithful 02 plate 406hdi110 estate up for sale on ebay after 6 years of happy ownership during which i have put up 68 of the 136k it has done. Guess what its replacement is ~ no, not a 407 or a Bugatti Veyron, an 03 plate 406hdi110 estate from a friend that he has had it for 8 years and has just over 70k on the clock. Why not something newer, well having just hit 3 score and 10 and my mileage dropping why not, the 406 is a well liked friend and i still like driving one. My son is a mechanic and with no labour costs and trade prices for parts (pay back time) it will see me OK for a few years no doubt.

PS See further post below, just had a key done at Timpsons in Lowestoft and only cost £25. Works perfectly.
Last edited by oldcol on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markw
2.0 Turbo

Post by markw »

oldcol wrote:My son is a mechanic and with no labour costs and trade prices for parts (pay back time)
I'm dead envious oldcol! My boy's into 'puters n stuff....
Should've got him under the car with me when he was little instead of letting him play on the Sega Mega Drive...... :cry:
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

Just had a new key done for my 03 Pug 406 at my local Timpsons. Cost £25, took about 15 minutes and it works perfectly. My Peugeot dealership still insist you can only get these keys from then as it has to be coded to the car ~ got news for them, my key from Timpsons IS coded to the car, that is a very very simple procedure and only takes a couple of minutes.
oldcol
1.8 8v

Post by oldcol »

PS The £25 key just done is for an 03 Pug 406hdi110 estate which has just replaced our previous 02 one. The 02 one sold within 6 days of listing it on ebay at my 'Buy it Now' price with no hassle.