Broken o/s foglight (D9)

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

liquid

Broken o/s foglight (D9)

Post by liquid »

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I was unfortunate enough to hit a phesant on an A-road (stupid thing was just stood there on the verge and then wandered into the road just as I was going through but anyways!)

Fortunately damage isn't too severe (was doing 70 at the time and it sounded like I'd smashed the bumper off!). There is a small hairline crack on the front of the bumper but the o/s front foglight has smashed (glass is OK but plastic bracket holding the foglight has smashed)

Fortunately, there are a few accident damaged D9s in the local scrappy so sourcing a replacement unit shouldn't be too hard. My problem is fitting it.

The Haynes manual recommends removing the bumper to do it, which according to them, will involve removing the grille and headlights.

If I was to remove the o/s front wheel, would you feel there is sufficient room to get the plastic inner bumper off and get to the light. Has anyone done a similar repair before?

Many Thanks
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Poor pheasant :cry: :cry:

I'm not sure how you get to the foggies. Have you tried removing the square panel under the bumper, but in front of the wheel. There's about 4 torque screws to remove it, behind there you can see into the wheel arch cavity and the washer bottle/horn is there on the driver's side.

You might be able to reach through this???
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
liquid

Post by liquid »

Poor phesant !? :frown:

(should have took it home and strained it, yum!) :cheesy:

Didn't actually realise there was such a thing underneath the bumper.

Cheers for that, will have to give it a go! 8)

Good thing with going to the scrapyard is at least I can have a 'practice run' first, so if that's how you replace the light, it shouldn't be such a complicated job on my own car.
diesel406
1.8 16v

replacing the fog light

Post by diesel406 »

[font=Comic Sans MS] Hi - I need to change my offside fog light too - I have got a new one from eBAY (£24) but I have tried to remove the old one and can't get it out - I then realised there is a screw at the top of the fog light so this looks like I need to remove the bumper to do this job.. I started to do this but got stuck! :cry:

1. Can anyone give me some idea how to remove the bumper please? OR

2. Is there a way to get at the top screw on the fog light ? There seems to be som much stuff behind the bumper, I am not sure there is room to wriggle out the fog lamp assembly anyways .. so back to question 1!!

Thanks for your help

Lewis [/font]
Engineer by day - Car mechanic by night - there is a difference!
Now gone to the German Dark Side!!!
At work: http://www.fatigue-expert.com and http://www.xanthusenergy.com
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

if i was you i would pm jameslxdt he is a wealth of information he has helped me out on a couple of issues and his advice is spot on 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

im here to save the day 8)
you have to remove the front bumper which involves,
removing the peugeot lion grille, a few clips
removing both the headlights
jack up the car
remove both wheel arch liners
im not sure of where all the bolts are, but there are some on the slam panel, some on the wing and some under the headlights,
be very careful of the radiator condensor and intercooler (where applicable)
also if you have headlamp washers disconnect the was pipes and be careful of the headlamp washers
oh and one more thing the PAS oil cooler runs under the middle at the front of the bumper and is also very delicate so handle that with care
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu:
see i told you so
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
neilirwin7
1.8 8v

Post by neilirwin7 »

Must be different on a D9 saloon than on a D8 saloon or a D9 Coupe then? I fiited fogs to my D8 saloon without taking the bumper off and replaced a fog on my D9 coupe just by working in the gap behind the bumper underneath the car - fiddly but workable.
La beauté echappe aux modes passagéres
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

You dont need to remove the bumper thats b*****ks. It says so in the haynes manual i agree. All you need to do is remove a small cover underneath. This will expose the rear of the fog light. You will need a star headed screw driver bit to remove cover and the two retaining screws holding the fog light in. then there is one in the middle at the top a b*****d to get to but it can be done. Remove cover back from wheel arch and a good torch to see where it is. Refitting is a pain in the arse but i would say use a magnetic screwdriver to get the top screw into position. Replaced mine before xmas around half an hours jobl Also jack car up alittle to give ground clearance for removing cover and foglight screws hope that helps :cheesy:
diesel406
1.8 16v

Post by diesel406 »

Rapport25 - nice thought but my Pug has an intercooler and headlight washers so the rear of the bumper is stuffed full of equipment (I saw this when I removed the corner under panel :shock: ) no space to swing a mouse, let alone a cat! I do wonder what happens in a front end crash ... yes ... a huge mess! - So it looks like I really do need to remove the bumper :cry: .. or pay someone else to do it! :cry: :cry:

Diesel406 :D
Last edited by diesel406 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer by day - Car mechanic by night - there is a difference!
Now gone to the German Dark Side!!!
At work: http://www.fatigue-expert.com and http://www.xanthusenergy.com
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

That has shocked me :| I recently fitted my o/s front fog light and n/s and had no probs unless im being stupid intercooler is on the nearside on the 406 and does not come anywhere near from where you remove the fog light. Word of advice dont just look under the bonnet as i did at first and thought the same Once you remove the corner cover under front bumper and all should become clear :D