Bset way to keep a crap spray job looking shiny

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

benczuk
3.0 24v

Bset way to keep a crap spray job looking shiny

Post by benczuk »

Not my 406, but My little Twingo which has been very very badly resprayed down one side. No idea how long ago but it was so bad I thought I would have to re do it. To make matters worse the faded paint was covered in scratches where someone had tried to remove the crap spray job with any hedge they could find.

I have spent two hours with T-Cut seeing if I could bring some life back to it, and I am quite frankly amazed at how well it has come up. But the fact remains it was still done with an aerosol and will fade again. It also has some areas where the lacquer is fogged or crazing where the side meets the roof.

Currently it just has a coat of Mer on it, But what can I do to best keep the shine? Bear in mind this car cost me nothing, is in no way dent free and is used by the wife for running the kid to nursery and shopping. Therefore I don't particularly want to spend more than 20 quid on it! but I do like a nice shine and would like to keep it looking reasonable.

My thoughts are

1. Give it a new top coat of lacquer (from a can obviously, after cleaning it to remove the Mer i just lovingly applied)
2. Apply some magic product mentioned below
3. re do the paint job with more aerosols.

Anyone know if 1 will work, or suggest the best magic product for 2?
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
impster
1.8 16v

Re: Bset way to keep a crap spray job looking shiny

Post by impster »

If you can get a shine on it with T-Cut, and if your arms haven't dropped off yet, then first thing to do is get some Auto Glym Super Resin Polish on it. Do it 2 or 3 times. Then, you can either get a few coats of wax on it (I recommend 'Harly Wax' - available off ebay for about £15), or buy some Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection sealant.

Auto Glym Super Resin Polish has a very very light 'cut' on it, and also has 'fillers' which can help hide swirl marks and the finest of scratch marks. It leaves some protection on the paint as well.

The sealant or Wax adds a further level of protection which will also add some UV protection as well.

Try that and see if it works.