Rear Door Removal

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

panadero
2.0 16v

Rear Door Removal

Post by panadero »

To deal with some rust developing at the bottom of a rear door both on the inide and outside I decided
to remove the door. The following advice is directed at those who like me may
have to do the job on their own. It did not prove as difficult as I thought it would be but careful
preparation is the key especially if you are on your own. Also you need to be reasonably strong physically
to do this on your own.

Have a table ready close by with layers of soft material over it on which to place the door when removed.

Wind down door window first (to make handling the door easier). Cut battery and disconnect bayonet wiring plug to rear
door accessing it via the front door.

Remove 2 large door pillar check link retaining screws and associated rubber/metal fixing plate.

Place wooden support beneath the open door (I used my wooden hop up/step up with suitably sized block on top of that) to bring the overall height of this wooden support to about 37 cm. Place strip of carpet on top of that.

Slide makeshift wooden support (as above) under the door so it is almost wedged there. This enables you to pull the door out without it dropping at all.

Remove 2 door retaining bolts using 10mm spanner and 10mm socket.

Carefully remove door resting it on the wooden support.

Lift door out and place on table. Please note that the door is heavy and awkward but provided you are reasonably strong physically
you should be able to manage it on your own. i am 65 years old and I managed it on my own.

Re-instate door using the same method as for removal i.e place door carefully on the wooden supports so door hinges are as close as possible to their respective mating points within the pillar. They should marry up.

Line up door with the corresponding hinge points and insert the 2 bolts. Tighten with 10mm spanner and socket.

Replace the 2 door pillar check link screws. This is the trickiest bit. Push the door well inwards so as to line up the
rubber/metal plate with the corresponding holes in the pillar and tighten screws with large torx bit. (I did not have a big enough torx bit
in my toolbox so had to buy one).

Reconnect the bayonet wiring via front door.