Sunroof

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Sunroof

Post by Gary406 »

is water meant to get past the edges of the sunroof. and run in a channel out drains somewere ?
this is 1st car ive had with a sunroof so i have no idea.,
just been sat in the car to make sure my aerial rust repair has stopped water getting in. anyway i put my fingers up inside the sunroof and my fingers were soaking wet.

is this normal ?
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
midsdaz
3.0 24v

Re: Sunroof

Post by midsdaz »

My seal lets water through to the drain holes I don't think the seal would ever be 100% water tight but I'm not about
I find out by getting a new one at £88 for the stealers as long as ur drain pipes are clear unshould be alright mine was blocked and water go behind the fuse box and foot wells but once I cleaned them ent had a drop since
2.1 glx p reg d9 half leather electric seats d9 centre console leather steering wheel front lag splitter de badged front end strut brace all grey bits of interior is now black
Things to do finish off fitting leather door cards,coil overs,window tint, fit wolfrace wheels with 20 mm spacers 225.45.17 and the list will continue
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

how did u clean the drain holes mate. mine isnt leaking in the car 1 bit. just wondered why i could feel water up inside.

i think i just found 2 drain holes . in the corners of the sunroof right at the front.
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Get some Curtain (Net) wire mate,
it will clear them withought damaging the pipes,
midsdaz
3.0 24v

Post by midsdaz »

I pulled the headliner back and pulled pipe off the sun roof and put a bit if wire down it then pured water down to make sure I got rid of the block but I dont think u would have to do this just what lozz said but off wire down the hole and if u undo the arch a little and just make sure u ent got loads of crap behind there I'm not sure if there linked but I cleared mine just in case and there was a good handful of leaves and stuff so may be worth a go it's only 3 screws
2.1 glx p reg d9 half leather electric seats d9 centre console leather steering wheel front lag splitter de badged front end strut brace all grey bits of interior is now black
Things to do finish off fitting leather door cards,coil overs,window tint, fit wolfrace wheels with 20 mm spacers 225.45.17 and the list will continue
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I think the seal is supposed to slow down the amount of water that gets in, when it gets older the amount of water that leaks past can be more than the drain tubes can handle.