Driver's door too high

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Driver's door too high

Post by ZilogJones »

I was getting a lot of wind noise from the driver's door, I had searched threads about the door seals and stuff before but everything seemed ok until I looked again recently - the door seems to be sitting a bit higher than the others and is leaving a noticeable gap between the upper seals when closed.

Can the hinges be adjusted or something? How could this have happened? I've seen doors drop down over time which is understandable but this is going in the wrong direction...
2002 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier saloon (for sale)
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Driver's door too high

Post by lozz »

Hi mate,
does the door close ok, ?

Idont think they adjustable,
was the car like this when you bought it?

Got anypics ?

sorry for the questions, but it might help people to give you an idea of how to guide you on sorting it,

regards lozz
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

There's nothing about adjusting the door on Service Box :( There must be some adjustment, but I've no idea if you can move the hinges about or you need a big bar to bend the hinges (like the BX). Also, is it at the front or the back of the door or both? If at the back you could see if the striker plate moves. Hold on, I remember doing this on my D8...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

there might be room for slight adjustment,
but it wouid only be cms ithink

perhaps wing wouid have to come off for that or bend a spanner,

see pic of door hinge,
door hinge 406.jpg
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Post by ZilogJones »

Thanks for the replies.

The door closes fine. I guess it was like this when I bought it (in March), wind noise was always a problem with it. It seems to be at an even height along the door, as it doesn't line up right with the rear door and what I think the cause of the wind noise is that it doesn't sit on the A-pillar seals properly (compared to the other side). Sorry no pics - weather has been terrible the last few days :(

The Haynes manual says "slight adjustment" can be made by slackening the hinge retaining bolts and "repositioning" the door and or hinge. It's probably only off by 1 cm so maybe that'll be enough? Doesn't say anything about the wing...
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i dont know about the hinges but when i got my car and i had wind noise the front door didnt quite line up flush with the back the strike plate can wear a bit so the door isnt held as tight i replaced it for a new one but there is room
for adjustment to compensate for wear in the pin
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Post by ZilogJones »

You replaced the strike plate? Hmm, might check that out too, thanks.
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Post by ZilogJones »

Finally got the camera out, here's what's going on:

And the passenger door for comparison:

Could worn rubber be contributing to this problem as well?
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

That looks similar to my green hole:

I thought the red hole was letting water in, but I now think this is wrong and that the problem is the top of the door not sealing tightly enough against the rubber.

I had to get the passenger door bent back into shape after one of my neighbours hit it and left it. It was bent out at the top. The guy who did it commented that 406 doors are very pliable and that it is common for them to need adjusting, especially if people have been leaning on them.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Post by ZilogJones »

Yours looks pretty flush against the A-pillar though, as opposed to mine, and that seems to be where the wind is getting in. I haven't had any problems with water getting in.

I had noticed your thread before, so was able to rule out that gap at the corner of the windscreen. Thanks :cheesy:

I mentioned this door issue to a mechanic but he said it's a lot of hassle refitting the door and might not improve things or even make things worse. Would I be better off taking it to a panel beater? Might take a look at the strike plate myself first though.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

I just had a thought: if the door has somehow got mounted too high then it will also be too high at the bottom of the door. If, however, the bottom of the door is where it should be then it just needs bending in a bit at the top. :cheesy:

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

The door looks like its been bent back,

previous owner- locked keys in / scrote broke in perhaps ?
scotty73
3.0 24v

Post by scotty73 »

I'm with lozz looks like some little sh*t has had a go at it... I think i see a scuff mark on the door? it looks like it does need bending in a bit more but firstly undo the screws to the hinge on the middle pillar that catches the door they do move in slightly then tighten screws back up it may help a bit mine did.... dont just undo then tighten mind push the hinge at the same time :lol:
2000 W 2.0hdi 110 7 seat estate Blue.

And this glue is for my submarine not for putting up you're f*c*ing noses, and dont think i dont notice cos i do... Buy your own f*c*ing glue!!! Fatty Lewis Twin town 1997.
ZilogJones
2.0 16v

Post by ZilogJones »

The door doesn't line up properly at the bottom either, can't remember if it's off by the same amount (didn't think of taking pictures further down). I'll see if I get anywhere adjusting the striker, then maybe try and find some decent panel beater around here (want to get some dents and scratches sorted out too).
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Whats the Gap like, inbetween the wing and the door,?