Good exterior windscreen cleaner ?

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

RayneR
3.0 24v

Good exterior windscreen cleaner ?

Post by RayneR »

Well, my windscreen is leaving some kind of coat when the wipers pass throw it makes the windscreen fogged from the outside( maybe it's the dirt ?), and as they pass it leaves also long lines..

My windscreen have some stone chips but this problem of the wipers when passing throw and it really mess the vision it's not very fancy and i want to solve this problem ...
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Good exterior windscreen cleaner ?

Post by steve_earwig »

The windscreen will pick up the same rubbish that gets on your paintwork (tar, soot etc) so you should polish this off - I just use the same liquid my wife uses for the windows in the house :mrgreen:

Leaving lines might mean your wipers are worn out.

It's also good to use proper windscreen washer fluid - it will keep your screen cleaner and the contents of the bottle won't become a smelly swamp...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I always liked the product "Rain-X" for the windows, it makes the water bead-off nicely but will need re-applying on the windscreen every month or so.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
ally406
2.0 Turbo

Post by ally406 »

Can vouch for Auto Glym Glass Polish, or T-Cut Glass seems to be much the same product. If I'm going on a long trip I usually take some of these detergent wipes with me, takes the grease off nicely.
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

well, even when i clean the car up, it will be the same, so maybe i need to use the auto glym polish or a window cleaner like you said, which i saw on ebay looked great, and takes of anything.

edit : i also saw some repair kits , like stone chips repair kit but i don't really believe in it ...
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

well, i bought here in PT this armor all glass cleaner : http://www.armorall.com/products/view_p ... ndex=glass

and i can't remove those particles i mentioned, damn, they look like painting powder i'm almost sure, because they are silver and my car is metallic grey, and almost half year ago i needed to fix some of the front bumper, and i'm pretty sure that they didn't covered the front windscreen ... This is making the wipers to pass throw and make the windscreen look foggy ...instead of cleaning is not helping ...

I should have suspected that it wouldn't work .. because it looked like a regular cleaner to me ...

So, what can i do now ?

Thank you.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

White Vinegar and newspaper. works wonders, :roll:
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

On the advice of my old supervisor I ried using the normal car polish on mine last time - water beaded off the windows nicely for next few days...
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

You will laugh about this, in the evening right after i posted, i asked my dad what could i use on the windscreen, and he told me to use this :

yep it's a scouring pad for pots, this must be thin like this one , there is some that it's steel and more thick DONT USE THIS!

Mine are with soap like that photo above witch was great to remove the painting powder, and i think you should try only with soap ones. Only you need is a bucket filled a bit with water and a cloth.

My windscreen is shinning like never before.

All i need now is something to fix the stone chips that is all over my windscreen .. what can i buy for this ? i see some stuff on ebay but i can't figure out how it works and how much holes will it fix ...
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Dont put scoring pads anywhere near the screen mate :shock:

seriously you dont need anything like that,

stuff like White vinegar or even Meths will clean the screen with ease and leave no marks, (Microfibre cloth,)

You must of been Brave to use a Pan scrub, :mrgreen:

as of stone chips in the screen how deep are they ?

Ive used super-glue in the past on screen chips, if there not realy deep chips,
some people will say thats a Bad idea tho, but it worked for me and stopped the chip spreading,

ive tried the injection Repair - screen kits, and had no luck with them they seem to take an age to set, :roll:
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

lozz that scouring pad is really really thin and smooth it's not like some that are thick and rough steel, i already removed all the painting powder that didn't what to get out of the screen with that! I'm happy now !

About the stone chips, it's all over the screen and they are very small, you used super glue on them ? :shock:

How can that work ? didn't you damaged the screen by accident? Like putting too much glue in the hole and then it got running down the screen ( wuuuuuhh this could be messy ).

How the glue didn't turn it's colour ? Well, when they are on the tube, it's transparent but when applied, most of the times they turn white....
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Nope. ididnt run all over the screen,

and it didnt change colour,
all idid was fill the hole with Super-glue let it set and Leveld it off with a stanley blade,
Worked for me,

as for the pan scrub, sorry igot the wrong idea Ithought it was ABRASIVE,
Archangel
2.0 Turbo

Post by Archangel »

there are plastic pan scourers you can use , just as good as steel ones
Replacement !
1998 2.1 TD LX Estate Red 196,000 TURBO DIESEL XUD11BTE "Alice " 200 k just hit yesterday 17/2/2012 not bio yet , smooth box , lovely runner

1997 1.9 TD GLX Estate Black XUD9TE " Norma " now sold
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

autoglym glass polish is what i use. brilliant stuff
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

i use a very expensive product to clean my windscreen it costs a fortune but it does work well but iam not sure if i would recomend it as you can get the odd faulty one
:arrowd:

its the wife!