My coupe's broken by an Astra

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

Excellent news!! damage can't have been very bad at all at that price :cheesy:

Count yourself lucky on the courtesy car, I ended up with a 3 cylinder Corsa last time, comparable my eye!! :evil:

Fog
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

neildavies......(when he gets it back)......

Nice one chap, at least you get the car back (and nice and new at the back too)
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Cheers all, I'm hoping it'll be cleaned for me when it comes back, allthough a wax won't be out of the question. The guy in the garage said the damage is basically what you can see, nothing else. So that was a relief. I almost cried in happiness when I found out!!

As for the Mundeo, the engine is quite powerful for a 2 litre diesel, but a bit noisy, my HDi I'm convinced is noticable quieter when it's warmed up. I think it feels fast becasue of the 6 speed box as well, which I don't really like, I'm happy with 5. Also hard to keep it in a straight line when you accellerate hard, and your forever changing gears. It definitely hasn't got the comfort or handling of both the 406's I've had. Put it this way, it hasn't convinced me to buy one.

Anyway, who gives a flying one about the Mundeo, I'm having my Coupe back!! :D
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Great result :)
Finally, insurance that comes through!

I've needed to claim twice and both times the bastards found ways to wriggle out of coughing up.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

supafrisk wrote:quietening down that top end rattle I seem to be getting when the engine's warmed up :shock: :cheesy:
Highjack!!!!

So the new motor rattles eh?

I get a rattle around 2000 rpm, I am not convinced yet that it is a mechanical rattle though, I am starting to think that it is a characteristic noise of a modern Common Rail engine.

You see, if you rev the engine on your drive it won't rattle, it only does it under load (where the fuelling is different).

Have you noticed how crap some modern Diesels sound? some Vauxhalls sound terrible, the way a Common Rail engine combusts Diesel seems to give a sound like the bottom ends' gone, like a heavy rattle or knock I just wonder whether the Pug HDi's have the same coarse sound at certain revs??
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Well here I am, 3 weeks later now and still waiting for my baby (the coupe) to come back to me. Phoned the garage last week, as I was best man in a wedding on Saturday and the coupe was one of the wedding cars, the garage said the middle of this week. So instead, it was a Mundeo for the wedding, but it scrubbed up well.

So watch this space, any time now could be coupe time!!
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

NOOOOOO, it's going to be anotehr week, been waiting for a panel to come in. It's being prepped for painting now. So I'm Mundeo Man for another week, but the guy in the garage said he wanted to make sure a proper job was done, so can't argue with that.
Rick_J
406oc Beer Monster

Post by Rick_J »

on the coupe forum, roy works as an insurance underwriter and when he had his accident he got a replacement 3.0 V6 mondeo - you should have been given similar. a 2 litre ford isnt in the same league. i also know what you meand about the brembos :cheesy:

as far as the spare wheel goes, you can claim for anything lost, including stamps, envelopes and phone bills phoning insurance companies etc..
406 Coupe 3.0 V6 SE
406 Turbo Executive - no idea where it is tho...
Rick_J
406oc Beer Monster

Post by Rick_J »

also, just so you know, the rear bumper comes direct from pininfarina through peugeot and costs £800+ VAT and comes in a lovely shade of primer, so body shop prices to get it fixed are going to be a shock for her :lol

serves her right for hitting a coupe IMO
406 Coupe 3.0 V6 SE
406 Turbo Executive - no idea where it is tho...
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

The garage said the bumper was around £500, so probably some sidcount there. I'm going to ask for a copy of what's been done when it comes back (whenever that may be). I'd thought about the phone bills when I had the bill on Friday, £3.50 in the call where I claimed, so might as well claim that back. Also, the spare wheel is ok, it "popped out" of the well in the accident.

With the Mondeo, it's a 2.0 TDCi, which has arounf the same pace as the coupe, and I'm glad I got a courtesy car which isn't up to the mark compared with the coupe, as it makes it that extra special having it back.

Can't wait!!!
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

And here I am, still paitiently waiting for my car, getting toward 5 weeks.

Any chance someone can remind me what colour my car is?

I phoned the garage today and the engineer said that when they tried to refit the exhaust, the realised the cat is damaged(another £700 odd) So all in all, can't really grumble as I've now got a new cat and exhaust.

I keep with the thought that I don't care how long it takes, as long as it's a spot on job.

I'll keep you all posted.
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

The chapter is now closed, here's the result, after 5 weeks

viewtopic.php?t=1587