Subtle boot spoiler for £85.00

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Subtle boot spoiler for £85.00

Post by Welly »

GeordieBoy wrote:That spoiler is just gay as fook on a 406 like.
Welcome back Geordie :cheesy:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

Post by =|[PsychoPoet406]|= »

That spoiler is just gay as fook on a 406 like.
- Taken from "How to make friends on the Internet"
ImageImage
Welly

Post by Welly »

That spolier, on an Evo or Scoobie is designed, by the manufacturer, to work with the rest of the aerodynamics of the car to improve high speed traction through corners and to get the power down to the back wheels effectively.

The 406 is FWD so what benefits has the spoiler got other than to load up the rear and lighten the front end of the car at speed thus reducing traction?

I can't think of any reason to mount a downfarce spoiler (not designed by peugeot) on a FWD car other than 'styling' or 'effect' :?
Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

The spoiler (well, more wing really) on a scooby/evo/racecar is designed to generate as much downforce as possible at low speeds to aid traction. It severely hurts high speed performance.

OEM spoilers on 'normal' cars are designed not to create downforce, but to aid aerodynamics by minimising the low pressure area behind a car moving at high speed (over 70mph), which enhances economy, performance and stability. The low pressure area is caused by the sudden drop in bodywork, which is why you'll see most estates and a lot of small hatches have them although a lot of the time they won't be dressed to look like a wing. Spoilers also reduce lift at speed

Silly scooby-style spoilers on FWD cars drastically reduce performance and front wheel grip at speed (not to mention destroy the cars resale value), and just look stupid. Unless you think having a Halfords store card is the height of cool, then obviously it means your car is 'blinged'.... :roll:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

mjb wrote:The spoiler (well, more wing really) on a scooby/evo/racecar is designed to generate as much downforce as possible at low speeds to aid traction. It severely hurts high speed performance.

OEM spoilers on 'normal' cars are designed not to create downforce, but to aid aerodynamics by minimising the low pressure area behind a car moving at high speed (over 70mph), which enhances economy, performance and stability. The low pressure area is caused by the sudden drop in bodywork, which is why you'll see most estates and a lot of small hatches have them although a lot of the time they won't be dressed to look like a wing. Spoilers also reduce lift at speed

Silly scooby-style spoilers on FWD cars drastically reduce performance and front wheel grip at speed (not to mention destroy the cars resale value), and just look stupid. Unless you think having a Halfords store card is the height of cool, then obviously it means your car is 'blinged'.... :roll:
In other words:-
GeordieBoy wrote:That spoiler is just gay as fook on a 406 like.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Pretty much, yeah :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

It's ok not to like it, no need to give us downforce 101 mate! I feel that if you're gonna spend money on a car there is little point doing something no-one will notice (or care about). I like to look back at my car and know that there is nothing else like it. It must work: I've had people in the street ask me if I will sell the car. I even had an old Muslim man in full robes, with knee-length beard, want to buy it for his son! How many 406 owners get that? Most are stopped by people who want to be taken to the airport, or to Sheffield city centre, or home from the nightclub...
ImageImage
Welly

Post by Welly »

A big spoiler maketh not a sports car.

It doesn't work just because people on the street say so.

*edited because I can't be bothered, and I shouldn't PUI (post under the influence)

And people are asking you to sell it as a piss take.

406's make excellent Taxis because they are a 4-door comfortable, reliable, cheap saloon car. Thats why you don't get taken to the airport in an Evo 8.
Last edited by Welly on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cars in my care:
=|[PsychoPoet406]|=
1.8 16v

You know, I was hoping this forum would be worth re-visiting, but unless I become an old man driving a standard-looking mass-produced rep mobile, I don't feel I will be welcome here...and not to start a fight, but you should watch your language Welton, I deal with wankers all day at work and I don't plan to put up with them during my outside hours. Au revoir mate.
ImageImage
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

=|[PsychoPoet406]|= wrote:It's ok not to like it, no need to give us downforce 101 mate!
Welton asked a question, I answered it. You're not the only person on this forum, "mate".
I feel that if you're gonna spend money on a car there is little point doing something no-one will notice (or care about).
My passengers notice and care that my car's safe and in working order. They notice and care that it's bloody comfortable and quiet. They notice and care on long trips that I have several mains sockets in the car. When I spend money on a repair that increases performance, I notice and care. A lot.

If I were to put a 6" exhaust and ludicrous spoiler on it, everyone I know would notice... They'd laugh their tits off.
It must work: I've had people in the street ask me if I will sell the car. I even had an old Muslim man in full robes, with knee-length beard, want to buy it for his son! How many 406 owners get that?
My dad used to get that all the time in his Lada Riva. I wonder if Lambourghini/Bentley/Maseratti drivers get people coming up to them wanting to buy their cars for an appropriate amount of money...
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Now then, now then, what's all this 'ere? To me you guys unscrewing bits and painting them a different colour (do you wake up in the night with a hankering to dye your dog green?) or you other guys with hoooooooooooooooooooooooooge wheels are a bit loopy but I'm willing to keep my mouth shut because I know I'm boring for wanting my car looking as much as it came off the production line as possible. Shoving a huge wing on the back of a 406 is much the same, I wouldn't do it but it looks well executed and I'd probably smile if I saw it on the road. It's all up to individual taste I guess. At the end of the day do what want to your car, be it work horse, transport or toy, when it goes wrong I'll still try to help you and sympathise when it all goes pear-shaped. Isn't that what this forum is about?

I once drove a 1971 Hillman Avenger Tiger, (debatably) the first production car with a spoiler. Said spoiler only began to develop downforce at about 140mph, which was a bit odd because the car didn't go much over the ton. Please feel free to smile.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

You are right Steve, but Psycho has done all this before. He shoves the car in your face and then gets very upset when people don't like it, or question it. There was a huge debate once over a ''200BHP'' D8 turbo with very little mods :?

I like Evos, Supras and such because they are performance cars and can wear most modifications well. A 406 with an Evo spoiler, loud exhaust etc is just wrong IMO. The 406 is not a sports car, it never was. The coupe is not a sports car, it's a Grand Tourer.

I see Vectras done up with racing stuff and they are normally driven by hot heads dangerously, too close, overtaking *everyone* and generally being a menice. I find it easier to file all these cars in the same folder maybe that's unfair of me and maybe Psycho drives on the roads with the utmost care, being considerate, keeping a reasonable distance, reasonable speed, and not bothering others.

I never have a go at anyone on here but I get annoyed when someone say's "you are all boring with your standard cars" when they are (largely) standard for a very valid reason.

I don't know why Psycho doesn't just buy an M reg tired old Scoobie with a 4" tail pipe and a flamer kit and be done with it.
Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Welton wrote:A 406 with an Evo spoiler, loud exhaust etc is just wrong IMO. The 406 is not a sports car, it never was.
Ah but then you get mods done *properly*.... Take K3nny and lambo for instance. Not exactly to my taste, but they've done a tremendous amount of work on the looks of their 406s (lambo's doesn't even look much like a 406 any more) and it's been perfectly executed. People who put effort in to do things like design and fabricate their own panels get the utmost respect from me, people who just buy a stupid great spoiler from ebay/halfords and shove it everyone's faces as Gods Gift... they don't.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Absolutely m, Kennys and lambos cars are really stylish and I like them. But they haven't made them out to be sports racers.

Their cars are street-style, sleepers etc a different style, and mindset, I think.

If someone did the whole 'Jap' thing to a 406 with 4WD, 400BHP, big brakes, 175MPH top speed then you may justify the wing. But to slap one on in a 'my car's phat' style is delusional (IMO of course :wink: ).

And, if you want all that stuff why not just buy a car that was designed that way for a start. Oh wait, that won't be 'indurvijewel' will it :roll:
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

There are some good reasons for keeping things standard, one is insurance because any modification is meant to be reported, maybe not psychadellic interiors but maybe those whale tails and those wheels for sure. Another is plod, make your car too individual and they'll spot you a mile off.

Now that was the other reason not to have a red car - do the motorway cops still play snooker?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.