Sills to be Welded for MOT Question On Painting Sills

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

tonyredz
1.8 8v

Sills to be Welded for MOT Question On Painting Sills

Post by tonyredz »

Hello,

I am going to have to get patches welded on underside of both sills just in front of rear wheels for MOT. Someone said to me that when the patches have been welded they have to be left like that ànd presented unpainted for the MOT test. Is that correct?

I thought I'd put some Smoothrite over the patches once welded. Any advice or recommendations for paint or rustproofing underneath?

Thanks in advance.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Sills to be Welded for MOT Question On Painting Sills

Post by PeterN »

Stone chip paint is pretty good, not many colours available but my local garage repaired a hole in the sill and ended up replacing most of it, he painted it with something black don't know what it was. Water drain holes blocked was the cause of the problem.

Peter
D9406
2.2 16v

Post by D9406 »

Last time I had sills patched the repair had to be inspected by tester before it could be painted.
Andy
1999 406 HDi 2.0 110 GTX Estate. 48k when bought, now 150K. Second owner, I've covered over 100k in it.
Clutch changed @110k, bottom pulley changed, cam belt changed, EGR blanked, cat removed, front springs changed.
tonyredz
1.8 8v

Post by tonyredz »

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Cheers!