Can this be repaired? crash damage

Discuss the 406's Bodywork stuff in here (what parts fit what, what can be interchanged with what etc etc).

Moderator: Moderators

turflayer
1.8 8v

Can this be repaired? crash damage

Post by turflayer »

Hi All,

I think my 406 may have met its end, I was rear ended last week which has damaged my rear bumper, rear light cluster and rear wing.

To make matters worst today my neighbour backed into my car scraping down the drivers door which will also need to be replaced.

I'm not sure how the insurance company are going to treat these two claims as both will definitely write off the car combined, and what compensation i will get (I'm guessing they will only pay out once)

The car is getting checked out next week but I fear it may be a right off (car is possibly worth £1500 -£2000 max) , I might buy it back (not sure how much the insurance company will want) and fix it myself just depends on the cost. Looking under the car it just looks like panel damage.

I can buy the parts second hand and fit myself (hopefully) then get them resprayed but my main concern is the rear wing. I know new its about £500 but i presume taking off the damaged one and labour costs will be expense (what is involved?)

I'm not in a happy place right now.

(first lot of damage)
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Re: Can this be repaired? crash damage

Post by GeordieBoy »

Some bodge from Halfords, some paint and a light will sort that out. No big deal at all.
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
turflayer
1.8 8v

Post by turflayer »

i dont want to drive around in a bodged car, i want to get it back to how it was before :|
omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

cant you ask your neighbour to pay for the damage.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Sorry mate but that will be a write off no doubt,
they will say its an un-economical repair perhaps. :cry:

ive got cars here in my yard written off with a lot less damage, :(

Too look at the car you might think it dosent look bad but you wont be able to see the crumple zones.. they ripple into the roof,
theyre never the same once theyve been Arse-ended and repaired,
Last edited by lozz on Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turflayer
1.8 8v

Post by turflayer »

quite possibly but its the rear panel from the first knock which will be the most costly to fix... how do you replace it?
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

:arrowu: look at the gap between the back pannel & the boot lid.
also the gap at the rear door and the pannel see if its closed up,

also look at the roof and rub your hand over it see if you can feel a ripple if you can the cars Funked :(
turflayer
1.8 8v

Post by turflayer »

the rear panel damage has created a gap along the boot and has 'rippled' up to the fuel flap and mid wheel arch. the pillar has not been affected nor the rear door.
Markyrow
1.8 8v

Post by Markyrow »

The insurance company will want 40% of the settlement back for the "salvage". You will then get the balance. Look at re-sale values of similar spec cars as a guide. Its irrelevant what you value it at they will go on current market value. It will probably then be a class c write off forever more. You must cough to this when you sell it on and the value will drop through the floor. You would need to run it into the ground then to justify doing it! You need to work the maths. If you can get the bits from a breaker ie the plastics, and the wing metalwork repaired and painted at a price suitable for you, it could be a goer. Sourcing the right bits in the right colour will save some work and money, but the wing issue will be the killer i think, unless you know a good bodywork man who is cheap? There are some nice 406's around if you look, and can afford to take your time. Good luck. Mark.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Good luck with it all mate,
ihope they sort it for you, and Give you a Courtesy car also,
atleast you or passengers wasnt hurt thats a blessing to be looked at,

ibet the other car came off worse :|
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

that's a real shame, hope it all works out for you.
If it was me I'd put my claim in, if it's written off buy it back (can't imagine it would be more than a couple of hundred) try and source the easily changeable stuff in the right colour. have a bodywork garage price up the wing repair.
If you're looking at silly money drive it like you stole it for a while (just because you can) then break it for a profit. When I priced up a replacement front end for my D8 the breakers wanted £120 for a bonnet, bumper and 1 wing.
Alternatively get the insurance money, buy car back, buy another D9 in the same colour and you have a car for spares :D
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Beware of putting in an insurance claim if you're not prepared to accept the consequences - make sure you go in with both eyes open wide...

I claimed with Direct Line following a not-at-fault accident on my 1999 saloon (some total arse scraped his works van against my car while it was parked up by the side of the main road in Earlston, then fecked off without leaving insurance details).

They eventually (after a week) arranged an appointment at their local body repair shop. I took the car in there, and they spent all of 5 minutes looking at it and taking photos. The inspector then told me that Direct Line would be in touch.

About another week later, I got the call from the inspector at the local garage to say they would be writing the car off, and that it was worth just under £1,000 pre-accident - but this amount would be docked a couple of hundred (as an aside, I'd modified the car with a stainless steel exhaust and forgot to tell them, so they wanted another £300 on top), meaning I'd be left with about £300 for the car. He also wouldn't argue with me about the value (I went on Autotrader and got a bunch of adverts for 1.8 LX saloons from 1999 and all were higher than £1,500). He said they use Glass's guide as their bible of car worth, and wouldn't shift on that for love nor money.

I was outraged at the stupidly low figure I'd be left with - not withstanding the fact that I'd also be losing my 2 years' No Claims Bonus - and called Direct Line to cancel the claim. That's fine, they said, and I'd be getting my 2 years' NCB back.

So I called my new insurance provider (like I'm going back with Direct Line after all the sh*t they put me through) and told them that I'd arranged with Direct Line that they can call and collect the NCB. However, after a couple of weeks trying and being told by Direct Line that the claim wasn't closed out, they gave up and called me back to say they wouldn't give out the NCB.

I called Direct Line and was told that the claim was still outstanding pending unpaid fees. I told them that I'd paid the bloody fees weeks ago (this is me thinking about the back-dated additional insurance premiums from the time I had the exhaust fitted, which I paid up with much disgust). They told me that the claim was being held open by their "Total Loss Team", who they told me I needed to call (they wouldn't transfer me) as they don't share the same computer systems...

So I called them and got no answer - except the call went through to a mobile voicemail box (except there's no personalized greeting on it) so I hang up.

I tried again and again and kept getting through to this mobile phone voicemail account, and all of a sudden, I get an answer - from the extremely irate person whose mobile phone it is, that doesn't have anything to do with Direct Line and never has :evil:

So I get back on the phone to their helpdesk and demand to be put through to the Total Loss Team. Miraculously, they can actually do that this time, and hey presto, within 2 rings, I get through to some woman who doesn't understand what the hell I'm so pissed off about. I demand to know why I don't have my NCB back and she says it's due to unpaid fees. I told her I'd paid the bloody fees, and she says she can't tell that as they don't use the same system as the helpdesk does. So she sticks me on hold and calls the helpdesk back, and confirms with them that I'd paid the fees.

But then she comes back on the line and tells me that there's still an outstanding charge of £52 for the cost of the vehicle inspection. I told her that I was there 5 minutes and the guy didn't actually lay a finger on the car, he just took some photos. I also told her I could buy a digital camera for less than £52, and write down the words "write off" for free. She wasn't buying that, and told me that I don't have to pay the £52, and they'd give me back my NCB, but the accident would go on my record as being an "At fault accident" rather than a "Non fault accident".

So I offered to pay the bloody £52 if it meant they piss off and not bother me ever again, and was going to give my card details over the phone - and then she tells me I have to send a cheque. A CHEQUE. I don't have a cheque book and haven't for years. She said a postal order would also do. So I have to pay the Wifely Person £52 and then get her to send them a cheque.

Two weeks later, I finally get my NCB back from Direct Line, but they don't say whether they gave up waiting and marked it down as an "At fault accident" or if they actually cashed the cheque and marked it down as "Non fault accident" so I had to call their sodding helpdesk again. Finally got told that it was all clear and the accident was marked down as "Non fault".

Net result - my insurance for last year cost me more than £1,000, when it should have cost about £680, and I still have a scratched up MOT fail car sitting outside my house, gathering dust and looking miserable.

Insurance companies are utter, utter bastards, and they don't care about you in the slightest. To them, you are a cash cow. They literally get money for nothing.

Think very carefully about what value they will give you for your car, and work out whether it's really worth claiming. I would bet that it isn't.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I can't see any reason from that picture why that can't be fixered as it looks to be panel damage BUT it is the cost to the insurer from the 'approved repair centre' that'll be the sticking point by the time they've factored in the storage cost, the hire car etc etc :roll: :(

The thing is, you have to assess what the car means to YOU - if you've spent a lot of money in the last 12 months on essential maintenance like new tyres, cambelt, exhaust, new air con etc etc then it would be worth keeping the car and discussing doing a deal with the insurers engineer. If the car owes you nothing then you may decide to throw in the towel and get something else (have you claimed for injury? I hate to say this but everybody does it and it seems a way of getting an extra £1K at some point :roll: ).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

my mates 406 got writen off last week. a van turned into him on a dual carrage way ,,

damage - wing mirror knocked off and very very slight dent / scratch . the van driver saw him before he really did hit him

insurance writen it off and paid him out within a few week

so i would say from your picture the insurance wont even look twice , it will get writen off
and if u think you can repair it ask them to buy it back

thats what my mate did
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Bloody hell Highlander that's sh*t with Direct Line
Makes me think even more about swapping insurance companies on renewal

I'm also thinking of downgrading from fully comp to TPF&T
I put my car into a price comparison website, and the quotes offered were based on a value of £445
£445!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the excesses they wanted, I'd get toss all back for the car, so why go fully comp :evil:
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406