New to forum and just bought a 406!

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

tom84
1.6 8v

New to forum and just bought a 406!

Post by tom84 »

Hello!

I just bought a 406 '97 saloon 1.9 TD. I bought it in Yate, near Bristol from a lovely guy. It is in great condition and has been well looked after but there are a few things I want to get sorted both mechanically and to suit my needs. I am not at all an experienced mechanic, so this will all be new to me. I have read through some of the forum and I like it a lot!

I bought the car to run on WVO on long journeys, it needs to be comfortable and spacious; more than it is currently! It is the xud with a bosch pump. For this I already think I want to change the oil filter, fit inline filters and a mini electric inline heater. I think this is preferable to doing the penny mod in the fuel filter port. I was going to run diesel injector cleaner through it first.

I want to do the air intake pipe mod; do you just remove the lower half? Is drilling holes better? do you have to change the air filter or can the same one just be put back? where do you drill the holes? I have read the excellent how to on this site.

My car needs new seats! I would like comfier front seats and to remove the hole of the rear furniture (the mats, shelf, re-mounting speakers and seat belt) and replace with one back seat and a flat, vinyl covered floor that goes from boot to the middle and driver's-side back seats.

The sunroof doesn't work and...

I would like to investigate all seals and water ingress.

The electrical off-side wing mirror doesn't work.

A fog light has come out of its mounting.

It needs a CD player.

I need a cross-bar type roof rack.

I would like to treat everywhere to prevent rust (there are some tiny signs but they're not bad).

I don't really know where to start with any of this so your advice and help would be hugely appreciated!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: New to forum and just bought a 406!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Tom & welcome aboard. 8)

My bro used to run his 1.9 on WVO without any modifications, at least in warm weather. The key thing is filtration. You need to be super fussy over filtering the stuff before it goes in the car's tank. Even then you should expect more frequent fuel filter changes and be prepared to remove the sender unit periodically to clean the strainer.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
tom84
1.6 8v

Re: New to forum and just bought a 406!

Post by tom84 »

Thanks very much! I have some oil I have filtered but was going to run it all through a filter again to get it down to 1 micron.
EDIT: Hang on, don't you need to change the fuel filter for a Mann filter? Or is does it run with no mods at all?