Going to stop lurking now...

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

marciek

Going to stop lurking now...

Post by marciek »

Just want to say hello, been lurking for a while, reading up on what I've got myself into, read the guide for doing cambelts, puts haynes to shame, and given me the confidence to have a go myself.

I didn't mean to get a 406, but it was cheap, had most of a years MOT, and ratty enough for me not to worry overmuch about it.

First impressions (had it a month or so now), is that I can't dislike it, I've not got used to the FWD yet, very much a fan of RWD swedish and german cars.

I'm reasonably handy with toolkit, but may need a bit of advice specific to the 406 sometime.

Marcelle
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Going to stop lurking now...

Post by Doggy »

HI & welcome aboard. 8)

406's do kinda grow on you, it'll feel like a comfy old shoe in no time.
They're very underrated load swallowing, mile eating, marvels you can run for peanuts.
Plenty of helpful info and free advice here for the asking.

What flavour 406 did you splash out on?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Welcome in!

As doggy says the 406 is a nice familiar comforting thing to flop into at the end of a hard day and it'll waft you home without any fuss.

Arguably, no definitely, the best car Peugeot ever made. It's such a shame to see numbers dwindling and people giving up on them when faced with a fairly insignificant repair bill for an MOT or whatever, you can get MEGA service out of a 406 but it's a machine it needs looking after too...
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welly wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am Welcome in!

As doggy says the 406 is a nice familiar comforting thing to flop into at the end of a hard day and it'll waft you home without any fuss.

Arguably, no definitely, the best car Peugeot ever made. It's such a shame to see numbers dwindling and people giving up on them when faced with a fairly insignificant repair bill for an MOT or whatever, you can get MEGA service out of a 406 but it's a machine it needs looking after too...
Couldn't agree more Welter's old boy, what you driving now :oops: , how long since you owned a 406 'the best car Peugeot ever made ' :roll:
Last edited by dirtydirtydiesel on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Hi Marcelle

Welcome to the forum. I have been running 406 hdi estates for some years now and have come to the conclusion that they are probably the best cars Peugeot ever made.

I have just returned from 2 weeks touring Scotland and North Yorkshire, we covered 2,500+ miles and it never missed a beat, it also passed the 210,000 mile mark while we were away and used very little fuel.

Peter
marciek

Post by marciek »

Well I'm back, thanks for the welcome in, I've still got the car, we've covered around 8000 miles together so far, needed to put some brake pads on the back in that time, and the ABS light came on while I was stretching my legs under the pedals, think there is some dodgy wiring there, managed to make it go off again.

More seriously the anti pollution fault warning came on with the enging light, so I'm going to have to buy a kit for this, had a look on ebay, but now more confused than ever with the uk sellers being in China. Not sure what to get from who.

Some one asked what flavour the car is, Its a 2.0hdi on a Y plate, an estate.

Truthfully this is the most modern car I've owned and I'm not sure what some of the stuff around the engine is, the Haynes manual isn't much help, it doesn't even say how to disconnect the battery safley, glad I read it here on the KBase.

Marcelle