Hi All

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

markieg7

Hi All

Post by markieg7 »

Hi everybody,
After the sudden demise of my trusty steed, petrol estate passat (tiptronic gearbox issue) I am now the proud owner of a 406 110hdi also in estate guise. What have I been missing? 54mpg plodding around country roads, 76mpg cruising M3 with trailer the other day, the best from the passat was 30mpg. Looking forward to many years of ownership with this fine machine, 160K miles and feels like it could at least double it!
On another point, I'm an engineer and one of my main hobbies is cars, well anything electro/mechanical basically. So I have PP2000, delphi, vcds, elm and galetto if anybody local to Hindhead Surrey needs a hand for beer money.
Mark
"In an insane world, only the insane is sane"
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Hi All

Post by PeterN »

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. I ran hydropneumatic Citroens for 30 years or so which were brilliant, but wasn't very impressed with the C5 so a got a 406 hdi estate and thought it was the next best thing, quite the best car that Peugeot have made. I am running two at the moment, one for me and one for the wife.

The combination of ride and handling I think they have spot on, the 8 valve Hdi engine is almost indestructible and they seem to go on for ever, probably the most reliable car I have ever driven in 60 years of motoring - and I can repair them. Mine often does 60+ mpg on the motorway but not the figures you are getting, managed 70 mpg once on a trip to Yorkshire but round here they only seem to be averaging around 45 mpg although the first one I had was nearer 60 mpg.

If I can get replacements when necessary these will probably be the last cars I drive, you can buy them for peanuts now but the numbers are rapidly declining.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Mark and welcome aboard. 8)

As Peter says the 406 takes a lot of beating for value, reliability and comfort.

What year is your 406?

Post some pics when you can.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Hi markieg7

Sounds like you'll fit in well here, all the best with the car.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
markieg7

Post by markieg7 »

Thanks guys,
Mine is a 2001 model, didn't want a much later than this due to potential dpf issues. The car was on sale locally for £300 and I didn't even bother trying to negotiate this down, it was worth every penny. Road tax is only £150 (£305 previously) and the car has 7 seats, haynes manual, spare number plate for towing and a fistful of receipts from indies totaling approx £12k. The only downside is the amount of parking dents/scratches, which although do not really bother me, are embarrassing with potentially others thinking I'm responsible!
Its going to be my daily workhorse, drag the family around in comfort and judging by my smile after 6 weeks of ownership, a loyal member of my family.
"In an insane world, only the insane is sane"
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Sounds as though you bought that right. I paid £350 for my last one and £400 for the previous one in which we have done about 20k miles now with no serious problems.

Peter
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welcome to the madhouse Mark :supafrisk:
Good choice of workhorse :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Mark - A belated welcome from me too.

As Doggy says the 406 is very hard to beat for comfort, value, reliability and plenty of spares on auction sites..

I've had 3 406 estates, the 2nd one was an executive which I added the 7 seats to - then this became the donor for my 3rd when it needed work ( replacement lower mileage car was £200 cheaper than fixing the old one..!! )

One chap on here a while back - Bangernomics - has his 406 up to over 450,000 miles as an airport taxi car - so yours has plenty of life left.

Have a look on the Knowledge Base, on the home screen, for issues and remedies you may come across in the future.

Best of luck with the new motor :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.