newbie electrical gremlins

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

morch

newbie electrical gremlins

Post by morch »

Hello folks,

I'm a newbie having purchased my 1999 2.0l petrol 406 Glx a few months back. It has just 20K miles on it having spent quite a few years of its life doing just a few hundred miles per year.

I really like the way it looks, the comfort, the handling and the automatic wipers!

Less good are the electrical gremlins...

It wouldn't start one day after it stalled and I noticed the battery was a puny little thing. I happened to be very close to a scrappers so I went in and bought one from a Vectra, which the guy said was good and big enough. It started.

All was well until the same thing happened a few weeks later - stalled then refused to start (just a click and a wisp of white smoke from down the front of the engine near what I think is the starter motor). RAC man tightened up the earth connection to the battery (which he said was good), and off I went.

Its happened a few more times since and I've realised its a warm start thing. For example recently the car was sat for a couple of weeks and started first time. I stopped for petrol 10 miles later and then it wouldn't start. Just a click. I waited till it cooled down and then it started right up.
I don't know if this is connected but one day there was a delay of a few seconds after turning the door key before the central locking operated and the interior light flickered quite a bit.

Any suggestions as otherwise I love the car?!

Thanks,
morch