Project shed

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

Lixah
1.8 8v

Re: Project shed

Post by Lixah »

Doggy wrote:
This is a common one, mine has the spring from a wooden clothes peg around the hinge pin to help it pop open.
As a temporary stop gap jamming anything of suitable size into the gap between the flap & body, (windscreen scraper in my case), will help it pop open.
thanks buddy that worked perfectly, seems like a common problem, but at least very easy to fix
Lixah
1.8 8v

Post by Lixah »

Day 6;

- started by removing the seat, (perfectionist - i told you :( the seat thing was playing on my mind, annoying me, not being able to go lower) it was still quite wet from being washed and the interior smelled a bit funny, dont want to let anything get moldy so i put it on the lawn (was quite warm here today ~25C :D) for a few hours, seems the foam inside the seat holds quite a lot of water even though the rest of the seat seems dry ish. I think this should be enough, with a little bit more warm weather hopefully (i hope our summer isnt over yet anyway).

so i was looking at the bolt, and decided to just swap them around, so the bolt head was on the inside, and it worked, absolute perfect fit there's about 1/4 of 1mm space and its still nice and secure. so didnt' have to grind it down at all, nice.

- I also bought a cheap boost gauge from ebay, it's from an old cosworth or something but it seems quite good quality. no flashy lights, just a standard vacuum operated gauge, nice and simple. I thought it would be simple to fit too, however took me a bit of time, basically trying to find where in the firewall i could run the cable, i read another thread that mentioned there's an easy port to use in the passenger's footwell (and yes it was a british user!) but i certainly couldn't find this. I ended up using the main electrical port under the driver's dashboard, it was a real pain in the a** the old rubber seal/putty is a **** seriously i had to use a screw driver to poke through, took a good while, but managed it in the end. Oh I also used some old aquarium tubing for the boost gauge, I had it and it wasnt being used, so now it is.

So mounted it on the center air vent, didn't make a perfect job of the vent, but they were already a bit broken anyway, so not too bothered, I am bothered about scratching the outer cowling though, i even put some electrical tape around the edge to protect them, but i must have not noticed and gone through the tape (d'oh) oh well, it's not very noticeable.

- lastly as Doggy suggested I also put a new spring on the fuel flap, nice and easy and very effective too, perfect fix that took only 5min, the best kind.

GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Funnily enough I fitted mine last week, I have a boost gauge in the centre vent, and a vacuum gauge in the vent to the left of it. The previous owner fitted a sub in the boot which was removed prior to my purchase, but I used the hole that was drilled through the bulkhead from the old cable, and ran the vac pipe and boost pipe through it 8) The proper grommet is about 6 inches to the left of the white clip that holds the glovebox carpet in place...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Lixah
1.8 8v

Post by Lixah »

didnt get much done today;

just gave her a clean, tried to tcut the mess down each side, didnt really help at all, but at least i tried, (its free at least )

Lixah
1.8 8v

Post by Lixah »

Day 7:

- ok ive been putting it off for too long, finally decided to get that cat hollowed out, overall it was not as bad as i expected, however i really hate going under cars at all! even on ramps, with the hand brake on, while in gear, with bricks behind the wheels! :lol: just feels wrong! Anyway, took me most of the afternoon, the middle bolt was a pain to get loose, but surprisingly the top bolt was easy enough, once I had removed the turbo pipe (also a bit of a pain to get out of the way)

once it was off i just put it on the work bench and smashed the inside out with a hammer (something worth noting, most of the spikes/crowbars i had got were not long enough, i ended up using a metal pole since it was a lot longer) it was easy enough however a bit mind numbing, just keep smashing it and shaking the bits out, eventually you stop hearing stuff rattle around, then you know it's all good. then just put it all back together, I also applied a bit of exhaust sealant around the clamps after scraping off the old/bits of rust etc. sounds fine as before, no extra noise.

apart from that didn't really get anything else done, the interior seems to have finally dried up, with just a very faint smell left of moisture, should dry with use.

there was 1 slight mishap, when taking her out on a test drive after i wanted to get her up to temp and top up the coolant that had been lost, however i discovered my DIY pipe connection was not good enough, LUCKILY just as i was pulling back into the drive the connection popped apart, leaking coolant/water all over the exhaust making a steam show (fortunately looked worse than it was) so i'm going to have to re-design that (does anyone have any ideas?) its because 1 side of the connector pipe is smooth, needs some ridges on it really to keep it secure, gonna have to see what I can do about that.

Lixah
1.8 8v

Post by Lixah »

Day 8:

- ok seems like i've about finished the goals that i set out, not really sure if there will be much more work being done, might still play around with the re-map not really happy with that. Little bit sad to think it's all done, ive quite enjoyed this project

- so what did i do today, not much, since yesterday's mishap i decided to replace the coolant, so some fresh coolant in today, as well as version 2.0 of my DIY hose connection, ok so what I did this time was cut the smooth edge of the original piece off, and just push them both on to the same bumpy part, to be fair there's quite a bit of room there, i then put a smaller, tighter metal clip on, and a couple of zip ties for extra security. since both sides now have a ridge holding the hose in place it's much more secure, ive been and taken it out for a drive today and seems to be holding just fine.

-Matt :)
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Great work in just a week!

What's the issue with the remap? And did emptying the cat have any noticeable difference?
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Lixah
1.8 8v

Post by Lixah »

Captain Jack wrote:Great work in just a week!

What's the issue with the remap? And did emptying the cat have any noticeable difference?
Hi there, to be fair i've only just sorted out the relevant TAX (V5 finally arrived and i realized it was on DISABLED TAX - would have been nice for the previous owner to tell me) so really haven't been able to drive the car much to see if there's a big difference. she does drive nice, just talking with the guy who is currently mapping mine, i was just under the impression that with a remap these should be able to go to ~20 psi, and mine still seems to be 15. i dont really know much about maps so leaving most of that to him

sorry I couldn't be of more help, also regarding the cat, I was under the impression that it was more to alleviate the backpressure on the turbo rather than give much of a noticeable gain.

regards, Matt
Lixah
1.8 8v

Post by Lixah »

this car is now for sale, based in tamworth

call 07954 522 146 if you're interested :)

regards, Matt
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Blimey you don't keep your car's for long do you ?
You can't of used it much, oh well.
Try posting in the for sale section :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

By the way you should have just replaced the cat with a length of pipe & weighed the cat in.
The last one I took in I got £150 for, apparently the amount of platinum in the oe cat's fitted to 406's is very high :roll:
Just don't tell all the thieving scum! :x
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
BikerDon

Post by BikerDon »

GingerMagic wrote: <SNIP>
I personally would find a Peugeot original CD player to retrofit, and add a Connects2 device so you would have radio, CD and up to 594 songs on an SD card - all controlled by the stalk and displayed on the MFD.. :cheesy:
<SNIP>
Which Connects2 device would you recommend for my 1999 406, if any?
The Connects2 website only has devices for 2002-2004 406s.