CRITICAL HELP REQUIRED!

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

406Scaringme

CRITICAL HELP REQUIRED!

Post by 406Scaringme »

Hi there everyone.

I am new to this forum and as mentioned in my first post, I have a serious fault that has developed with my Peugeot 406 2.0 HDi (AG51 plate)

I was driving to work last night and all of a sudden, everything died.

Lights, Engine... The lot.

The car beeped and the stop light came on with "Engine Immobiliser fault" on the screen. It then proceeded to reset the whole computer and the time and date now read 0:00 / 01-01-00

Luckily I was only going 25 MPH at the time because it also took out my pedals and steering as well (both locked rigid).

I have looked online and it seems that in different variations, hundreds of Peugeot owners of different models are experiencing the same problem.

Can anyone help with this? I'm a little scared about going anywhere in it now.

Thank you everyone.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: CRITICAL HELP REQUIRED!

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there. Critical help? I'll give it a go...
406Scaringme wrote:hundreds of Peugeot owners of different models are experiencing the same problem.
First I've heard of it, they're not coming here for help anyway.

The only time mine did anything like this is when I was dropping the wife at work a few years back: engine, lights, dash, the whole lot went and the only thing displayed was the battery light on the dash. I turned it off and on again, it started normally and has never done it again. I assume the BSI crashed.

I think you should check stuff like the battery terminals and maybe the engine earths. The connectors *should* be ok (BSI, engine ecu etc.) as they're held in place mechanically with levers. Maybe a diagnostic could help, if there's someone with PP2000 in or around Ipswich willing to lend a hand. Also, check the carpet in the driver's footwell as there's a whole load of connectors under it that don't like getting wet.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: CRITICAL HELP REQUIRED!

Post by Doggy »

As Steve says, this is unique as far as I'm aware.

Best guess, you have momentarily lost all electrical power, stopping the engine, which in turn will cause you to lose power steering and the brake servo.

Battery connections or those at the other end of the main battery cables are most likely, but I did have a slightly similar incident with a Citroen some years ago, where the battery itself failed. Prior to it dying altogether, I had occasional flickering of the headlights and some odd behaviour from the dials.

Finally, it stopped altogether, engine stopped, all the dash lights went out. I opened the bonnet, there was a strong smell of acid and the battery was very hot. With the voice of reason screaming at me to get away from it, I quickly disconnected the quick-release clamp on the positive post, then left it to cool down.

After a new battery, the problem never recurred. Not suggesting this is your problem, but it may help to be aware of the possibility.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)