Hello! Looking for veggy 406

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

krazy

Hello! Looking for veggy 406

Post by krazy »

Greetings all!

After doing lots of research for cheap motoring on my 105 mile commute I think an older Bosch Injected 406 would fit the bill. I'm looking for a good one and found this place. I'll post in the wanted section as well. Hopefully will be part of the family soon.

-Krazy
Bailes1992

Re: Hello! Looking for veggy 406

Post by Bailes1992 »

As a previous long time user of vegtable oil in a 1.9TD 406 I thought I would offer some advice.

The shelf life of the seals in the fuel pump are 10 years. There is a risk that when you start running on oil some of these seals may fail.
If you have a car thats due a timing belt it's highly reccomended you get the pump rebuilt with new seals. It isn't too expensive and saves hassle in the future.

Over the years dirt and other crap has gotten into the tank and is sitting in the bottom. As the vegtable oil is thicker it will suspend this dirt and drag it through the lines.
Get 2-3 filters and keep them in your boot with an allen key. If it blocks up you can change it in 5 minutes!
This usually lasts for about 1000miles. By then the tank is squeeky clean :lol:

The vegtable oil isn't any good for the engine oil and will degrade it quickly. I used to use basic 15w40 Mineral oil from Tesco with a good quality filter and change it every 3,000miles or 3 months. I used to change the fuel filter at the same intervals.

Waste not want not! If the engine oil is mineral based the engine will have no issue burning it. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE ENGINE OIL AS A FUEL! But, there's nothing to say you can't use it as an additive. 1-2litres of oil every full tank will help keep the pump and injectors lubricated and even add a bit of lubrication to the upper cylinder.

During the winter it's adviced to add 5-10% of petrol or 50% of diesel in order to stop the vegtable oil from 'gelling' in cold weather.
Cooking oils will gel around 0°c although I have seen some oils start to gel as low as 5°c.

It's worth considering a slight tune to the 1.9TD. I makes the car far more driveable and slightly better on fuel.

It can be worth while advancing the injection timing on the 1.9TD when running vegtable oil but due to the ECU control on the 406 this isn't possible.
It may be worthwhile finding a Bosch pump off a 306 and fitting it to the 406 and remvoing the 406's ECU. You will then have more control over the injection timing.
It also helps with cold starting too! It may be a good time to buy a fully mechanical pump and have the seals changed, then get the new pump fitted while getting a timing belt changed.

A lot of people seem to think you need an expensive filtering system for vegtable oil.
I used to get mine from a chippy my Uncle runs and leave it a month for all the crap to drop to the bottom and the water to seperate. You would get a thick gloopy layer at the bottom of all the dirt, clean oil in the middle and all the water would settle at the top.
I would pour off the water and then filter the 'clean oil' through nothing but a J Cloth in a funnel ensuring I stopped pouring before I got to the gloopy layer of dirt.
I'd then run it 50/50 with clean fresh oil and never had any issues at all! I don't think you'd have any issues running oil 100% filtered that way.
Saying that a distant relative has a biodiesel setup that he runs his Jaguar X-Type on. He give me some vegtable oil that he filtered down to 0 microns and it was significantly thinner than the stuff I was cleaning out.

Hope this helps,
Sam.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
krazy

Re: Hello! Looking for veggy 406

Post by krazy »

wow, that does help. Quite a few things to think about. Many Thanks.

I am happy to put in some up front investment to get a reliable setup. Looks like these guys know about pumps:

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.aspx

Cheers

Krazy