Aerial problems!

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

Berni

Aerial problems!

Post by Berni »

Bought a 406 rapier estate 2002 recently (another for my collection!). Had the standard clarion radio/cd fitted with the rear aerial. Had no AM reception, and as I am a radio 5 nut, this was a problem. Assumed it was a simple aerial/connection fault so set about fixing. Assumed that the rear amplified aerial was duff (checked earths etc first) and after seeing the cost of a replacement simply fitted a standard aerial to the front (like a saloon) - changed iso connection etc. Knew that the head unit was fine as when I fit it to my other 406 all was well. No matter what I did I could not get AM reception - although it, of course, picked up FM fine using the cable. I wont bore you with how long this went on (days!!!) Definately no problem with aerial earth and I tried separate earths directly from the chassis/aerial/radio to the battery. Eventually discovered if I removed the earth from the aerial to the chassis everything is fine. I therefore fitted the aerial with a rubber insulating washer to prevent the aerial earth and all is fine again - perfect reception. Whilst I have now resolved the radio reception problem I don't understand why this fix works as in my limited knowledge in this area surely a corroded aerial base and dodgy earth would usually be the cause of my symptoms. Does anyone out there know what is going on here!!?
Berni
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Aerial problems!

Post by Doggy »

I don't know the answer, Berni, but I have a similar problem. I don't listen to AM stations, but my FM reception is poor. I have also tried all the usual stuff without success, but now I will try your 'modification'.

Meanwhile I will 'theorise' as to why it works. Only thing that springs to mind is that the aerial earth may be doing the job of the head unit earth, due to the latter having a higher resistance than it should have. :?

BTW, this should really be in the I.C.E section, (perhaps one of the mods will oblige). :wink:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)