Greetings from Finland!

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

sparrow77

Greetings from Finland!

Post by sparrow77 »

Hello everyone! My name is Patrik and I'm a student currently concluding the Finnish equivalent of sixth form here in Espoo, in the metropolitan/capital area of Finland. Three days ago I sold my first car, a 2001 Ford Focus 2.0 (after months of slowly inching the asking price down) which has been in the family its whole life. It was a bit tired and had lot of things, both cheap and costly, that needed fixing so I figured it would be better to sell it to someone willing to fix it up.

When I first set about looking for a replacement car, I dismissed French cars entirely because of the general negativity relating to their reliability ("French cars are weird, they'll break down all the time, they're very cheaply made" etc etc) and overall fit and finish. My mother has also had a 2005 Citroën Picasso for about six years now and it has been plagued with electrical problems and has generally been a bit of a money pit. So I looked at Vectras, other Focuses, the occasional 90s BMW, Civics, Rovers, all sorts of cars in my price range (one or two thousand euros).

At some point I decided to stop ignoring French cars - I came to the conclusion that I'd really like to see for myself if they really are as unreliable as people say they are. My two best friends have Peugeots that they drive daily, and they've been very reliable - a 2006 307 and a 1989 205.

I looked at lots of 206s, almost traded the Focus a few months ago for a black GTi. Earlier this week, I came across a very nice '98 406 1.8 16v, which, long story short, brings me here! I bought it on Friday for the exact sum I was paid for the Focus, 1290 euros.

The car was inspected two weeks ago (I believe it's called an MOT in the UK?) so no need to worry about that for a year. Its driven 215,000km so relatively average, but it was by far the lowest-mileage 406 in my price range which is why I went to have a look at it in the first place. It's in mechanically good condition, but being a 15-year-old car it does have its fair share of bumps, scratches, dents and cracks but nothing to write home about. The verdict so far: I'm loving it. A far cry from the Focus - so quiet and comfortable. Crossing my fingers for many, many worry-free miles!
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Greetings from Finland!

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, welcome to the club.

Your car looks like a good purchase, with relatively low miles compared to most.

This club has helped me lots during the last year or so, hopefully you will find it useful too... :cheesy:

P.s. Peugeots are very reliable, Renaults are not...
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Hi 8)

Nice looking 406 there mate,

Welcome to the forum.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi and welcome to the forum. 8)

Your car looks good and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by its reliability.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Welcome to the forum Patrik,as you will see,406 is reliable car,ofcourse,basic maintnance will be required but pugs are good cars.
Yours have rims and good color,i like it.
For any problem,post it here, this english crew is very skillfull and they solve any problem in no time.
enjoy :D
sparrow77

Post by sparrow77 »

Thanks for the replies guys :) I have many questions to ask, mostly about mechanical woes but also about how some things work on the car and where can they be found, should I start a thread for each question on the relevant board or should I dump them all in one post? Obviously I'll have a look first to try and find an answer on another thread.
So far I'm pretty satisfied with my Pug, but the most worrying problem is that it doesn't start every few days - after a few tries it does. A mechanically inclined friend of mine told me its just the immobiliser acting up... Anyone else experienced this?