Just bought one - 2.0 Hdi SE

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

impster
1.8 16v

Just bought one - 2.0 Hdi SE

Post by impster »

Hi all, new here, and following a rather tricky moment with my previous car (Audi 1.9Tdi SE), I've now bought a 53 plate (2003) 2.0 Hdi SE with only 39K on the clock.

It's my 2nd peugeot - I used to have a little 106 1.5D which was surprisingly economical years ago.

Looking forward to using it, and hopefully checking in to this forum every once in a while.

Cheers

Impster
Mid Wales, UK.
plod
3.0 24v

Re: Just bought one - 2.0 Hdi SE

Post by plod »

Hello and welcome

39k eh, wow lol

Get some pics up
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

Yup, 39K, first registered by Peugeot UK, then sold via a local dealer at something like 1000 miles to a retired gent. FSH, and only 5000 miles a year or so since then.

Picking it up later today hopefully. Looking forward to it!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi & welcome to the site. 8)

39k is amazing - why not bring it along to our meet at Gaydon on the 20th & let everyone see what their car used to look like?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

dogslife wrote:Hi & welcome to the site. 8)

39k is amazing - why not bring it along to our meet at Gaydon on the 20th & let everyone see what their car used to look like?
firstly hello and welcome to the club, now secondly I want to reinforce Doggy's invite come on along it would be great to see such a low mileage example at the meet

have a look here if you are interested 8) :cheesy:
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

Hmmm. Gaydon - I presume you mean the motor heritage thingy place at Gaydon. Last time I went there was a few years back with another car club - The Imp Club (I'm an Imp enthusiast, although currently I've got a Clan Crusader, which is Imp-based).

Any links to this meet? Sounds interesting. (EDIT- just read the post above properly, and spotted the link. Doh!)

Impster
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

Hello again. Well, done about 500 miles in the car. A lot diferent to my old Audi A4 Tdi. Much more of a cruiser I'd say, more comfortable, and more 'relaxed'. Still trying to work out a good driving position (the seats of this car seem a lot higher than the Audi too), but getting there slowly.

Anyway, the clutch on these HDi 110s - are they supposed to have a 'high' bite point on the clutch? In other words, I'd say with the pedal pressed in about 20% I can freely change gear. No apparent clutch slip. Just a wee bit paranoid that the clutch is on it's way out (mind you, 39,000 miles on the clock - so clutch should be ok?)

Thanks

Impster
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

Hi the clutch is hydraulic and famous for the high bite point, dont stress about it they are all like that :wink:
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

Thanks for that - one thing less to worry about. :)
madmcivor

Post by madmcivor »

my clutch is the same, only had the car a few weeks and my dad thought it was going, but my last hdi 206 was the same and my mate 406 aswell,
my car is similar to yours lol,
53 plate registered in 2004 2.0 hdi s but 153k lol
impster
1.8 16v

Post by impster »

Ok - done a thousand miles or so in the car. Very relaxing compared to the Audi I had before (but maybe not so much of a 'drivers' car if you know what I mean?).

Anyway 5 niggles I have with it - minor ones, but niggles nevertheless.

1: Vibrating rear view mirror. Very annoying.
2: Some loose clicking/ticking noise from the drivers window when open about 6 inches.
3: Gearstick 'gate': easy to accidentally go from 1st to 4th, or from 4th to 3rd (instead of 5th).
4: Front foglight lenses are 'cloudy' on the inside.
5: Indicator stalk 'auto cancel' is a bit strong - it sometimes auto cancells so stong that it goes too far and puts the opposite indicators on.

However, I'm getting 53mpg from it. And the armrest on the drivers' seat is fantastic!

Any advice much appreciated.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

I'll try and answer a few but you'll get more accurate answers from the HDI owners;

vibration of the rear view mirror - I'd be looking at engine mounts (surprising in a low miler like yours but possible)Mine was virtually unusable until I had the top mount changed and now it's steady as a rock.

Window noise, a few options, strip the door card off and have a good look around OR shut window and turn on aircon, OR my personal favourite - turn the stereo up :lol:

Test drove a 110 HDI a few weeks ago and found the clutch bite/gear shift very 'vague' so could well be a characteristic of that particular transmission (Wiser people will advise) Much prefer the XUD for solid feel from the clutch pedal and gear lever but 110 horses and a much newer higher spec car like yours could persuade me to do a swap if you like :supafrisk:

Foglights, sure i read a how to quite recently on this, dissasemble, clean, coat water seals with vaseline and refit is the way to go

Indicator stalk is an HDI thing I think? don't have an issue with indicators with an XUD 90 unless I'm going down hill and the red flag man can't keep up!!! (God I need a more powerful car)

Hope I've either helped or made you smile, it is friday after all
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

impster wrote:5: Indicator stalk 'auto cancel' is a bit strong - it sometimes auto cancells so stong that it goes too far and puts the opposite indicators on.
Tired COM2000. Mine does the same. I think your options are limited to living with it, replacing the whole stalks unit for lots of ££££ or some sort of bodge repair. I have a bit of black sponge (from an old dash shine thingy) glued just inside the hole in the housing which offers just enough bounce to stop the left turn coming on, but not enough to knock it off when you intentionally indicate left.
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
benczuk
3.0 24v

Post by benczuk »

impster wrote:4: Front foglight lenses are 'cloudy' on the inside.
see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15795&hilit=fog+light

Just wish i had the time to do mine...
2002 HDi 2.2 GTX Estate de-fapped
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

0. Welcome

1. Dunno. Is it a self-dimming one? They look quite heavy. Might just need re-fitting.

2. The doors are very rattly compared to German cars.

3. The gear lever will feel very sloppy compared to the Audi. Remember that it springs back to rest between 3rd and 4th too. This is probably something you just have to get used to.

4. Foggy fog lights are, er, normal.

5. I wonder whether Peugeot over-egged the pudding when re-designing the COM2000? :lol: (Most of us have the opposite problem -- that the indicator won't cancel, won't work (bad contact), or the stalk flops down and helps itself to a left turn.)

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k