Google Advertising

We tell you what we're doing, you tell us what we're doing good or bad.

Moderator: Moderators

I feel that 406oc.co.uk

Should SUPPORT the new advertising system
19%
Should NOT SUPPORT the new advertising system
No votes
I DO NOT MIND if the new advertising system is introduced
65%
I believe FURTHER RESEARCH is necessary before implementing the advertising system
15%

Total votes: 26

nick
Site Admin

Google Advertising

Post by nick »

Hello folks!

As you know, I'm pretty transparent when it comes to running the site, and like to keep everyone in the loop about whats happening.

Recently, I removed all the ads from the site to see how sustainable the site would be, without being ad-supported, and run on donations (without any prompting for donations either).

During the small test, I came to the conclusion that running Google Ads would be the best model for this site.

As some of you may know, Google has recently started a new advertising program, which I'm hoping to be a part of.

Im going to stop here, and state right away that I fully support a users right to choose, which is why I'm putting this out to be commented on. I'm also a big supporter of privacy on the Internet, and there are certain things I would never consider having on this site.

The new method for Google Advertising uses a cookie which notes which previous sites you've visited which are also served by Google Ads. i.e If you visit this site, then visit another 406 forum, and then maybe a Peugeot's forum, all of which are supported by Google Ads, you will start to be served with adverts relating to 406's and Peugeot's.

A lot of people will jump up and down just now with regards to their privacy. Like I said previously, I fully support an open discussion system, and at the end, if the user base deems that they do not want this new type of advertising, I will honor that.

I do, however, hope that the users of the site support the new model, and support keeping 406oc.co.uk running with no membership fees!

Questions or comments folks?

On a side note - Google helpfully posted a "Privacy Policy" example document, and while I think its a bot strongly worded, this will be placed on the sites Terms and Conditions if accepted.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
Thanks!

Nick
Last edited by nick on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated to Global Announcement + added poll. Removed global announcment..
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Google Advertising

Post by mjb »

I put 'do not mind' on condition that the ads served up are NOT flash-based for the following reasons:

1) They're incredibly annoying
2) They frequently consume stupid amounts of CPU power
3) Quite often they're able to crash Linux Firefox :evil:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

@mjb I know where you're comming from. You should try firefox on 64bit with a 32bit flash player, using a 64bit wrapper. Ah, the joys of closed source!

But no, itshall be just likethe ones we used to have. :D

N
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

hey nick!! i've been meaning to talk to you!! Any chance of a signature with my avatar pic :arrow: :arrow: (You'll also find it in 'Eoins 406' topic) and Peugeot HDi on it?????? Can you edit the house out of the bg too!!!

I also think the google thing won't really affect the running of the site
Last edited by eoin27 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Nick, I don't mind - whatever keeps the site going!

Eon - you need to talk to Niz406, not nick ;) (they are delibirately trying to confuse you)
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

Dammit!!! Dammit all to hell!!!! :evil: :evil:
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I'm all for it Nick; you can't rely on enough people donating to keep the site going ad-free indefinitely.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

nick wrote:@mjb I know where you're comming from. You should try firefox on 64bit with a 32bit flash player, using a 64bit wrapper
Urgh! I only use 64bit OSs on machines I actually need to address >3GB in a single process (database servers or heavy data crunching). Having to have two sets of most libraries to maintain binary compatability is too much of a pain in the rear
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
supafrisk
Horse Whipper

Post by supafrisk »

Just a quick one to mention that I think more members would donate but I'm sure last time it was mentioned someone had done away with the donations button :supafrisk:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

supafrisk wrote:Just a quick one to mention that I think more members would donate but I'm sure last time it was mentioned someone had done away with the donations button :supafrisk:
I don't think it ever returned :shock: Not a huge surprise there's been no donations in the interim... :lol:
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Hey one more post supa and you won't need approving any more! :lol:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
supafrisk
Horse Whipper

Post by supafrisk »

teamster1975 wrote:Hey one more post supa and you won't need approving any more! :lol:
Yee bloody ha.. thank Christ for that - 1971 posts deleted :evil:
So my tally is really 1976 then :wink:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

...and there we go :wink:
supafrisk
Horse Whipper

Post by supafrisk »

...That's better, still at least it stops the spammers. And for that, it's worth it 8)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Go for it Nick, anything to keep the income coming in....

Speaking of which I need some input from you on an income related matter, check your PM! :wink:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"