Post preview pop-ups and who is online

We tell you what we're doing, you tell us what we're doing good or bad.

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post preview pop-ups and who is online

Post by Welly »

Hello everybody :cheesy:

On other car forums I've seen there's often a facility where you can hover one's mouse over a topic title and read the first few lines in a pop-up box. I think this is good but could it be done here?

Also you know when reading a fred, at the bottom of the screen it tells you "who is on line" or something but does that mean whoever's name is shown is reading the same topic as you or just the same forum section? (always wondered this).
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Post preview pop-ups and who is online

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi.

Those things NEVER stay up long enough for me to read them :frown: Then I have to sod around with the mouse to get them to reappear and it ends up being far far quicker just to click the link and read the damn thing :frown: :frown:

"Users browsing this forum", I think that speaks for itself really :P
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:"Users browsing this forum", I think that speaks for itself really :P
I'm not so sure, There's Forums and Topics :|
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh no, it doesn't say topic there does it? (Nor Marathon either :cheesy: )

puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

:arrowu: :arrowu: :arrowu: and these pair are moderators !! :shock:
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
Welly

Post by Welly »

Well, one of us is :|
Cars in my care:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Move away from the edit Puggy button I could be pedantic here and say there's no such word as "forums".

Ok, a brief experiment later, by "forum" it means the sub-headings like "engine and mechanical talk". I always just assumed it meant that but now I know for sure.

Welly

Post by Welly »

I'm too tired to tell if stevie's taking the piss now :?

What I meant was; if you look down the bottom of the page it says "who is browsing this forum" it doesn't say "Topic" so I thought it meant that someone else was also looking through "Engine and Mechanical Talk" for example and not necessarily looking at the very same Topic as you.
Cars in my care:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:there's no such word as "forums".
You sure about that? As far as I'm aware, it's the plural of "forum" which is a word that's existed a wee bit longer than Internet bulletin boards :)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Welly wrote:I'm too tired to tell if stevie's taking the piss now :?

What I meant was; if you look down the bottom of the page it says "who is browsing this forum" it doesn't say "Topic" so I thought it meant that someone else was also looking through "Engine and Mechanical Talk" for example and not necessarily looking at the very same Topic as you.
I thought it meant that too !!
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
StevieboyTD
3.0 24v

Post by StevieboyTD »

Welly wrote:Hello everybody :cheesy:

On other car forums I've seen there's often a facility where you can hover one's mouse over a topic title and read the first few lines in a pop-up box. I think this is good but could it be done here?

Also you know when reading a fred, at the bottom of the screen it tells you "who is on line" or something but does that mean whoever's name is shown is reading the same topic as you or just the same forum section? (always wondered this).
No chance, this forum software is pap, doesn't even give you a "todays posts" option at the top on every page. Keep having to go back to the forum overview page, then select the recent post option.
2.1td exec estate.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Welly wrote:I'm too tired to tell if stevie's taking the piss now :?

Heaven forbid!! Exactly, looking in the same sub-forum (for want of a better name), not the same topic (it don't say that :cheesy: )

It should be "fora" but you're right Matt, that one's gone out of the window. A bit like "pease" (Pease pudding hot, pease pudding cold...)

DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

forum

(ˈfɔərəm)

[a. L. forum.]

1.1 Rom. Ant. The public place or market-place of a city. In ancient Rome the place of assembly for judicial and other public business.

1460 J. Capgrave Chron. 29 Thoo places in which juges herd causes he [Foroneus] cleped hem aftir his name, ‘forum’, that is to say, ‘a hopen place’, or ‘a market’.    1601 Holland Pliny II. 117 The said Scipioes statue erected in the Forum or publick hall.    1647 R. Stapylton Juvenal 61 The city of Rome had four great forums or piazzas.    1781 Gibbon Decl. & F. II. 15 The principal Forum; which appears to have been of a circular, or rather elliptical form.    1838 Arnold Hist. Rome I. 38 He [Tarquinius] made a forum or market place and divided out the ground around it for shops and stalls, and made a covered walk around it.

b.1.b as the place of public discussion; hence fig.

1735 Thomson Liberty i. 160 Foes in the forum in the field were friends.    1818 Byron Ch. Har. iv. cxiv. 1025 Rienzi‥The forum's champion, and the people's chief.    1831 Carlyle Sart. Res. (1858) 8 To descend‥into the angry noisy Forum, with an Argument that cannot but exasperate and divide.

2.2 A court, tribunal. law of the forum: the legal rules of a particular court or jurisdiction.

1848 Wharton Law Lex., Forum, the court to the jurisdiction of which a party is liable.    1857 Parsons Contracts II. ii. ii. §6 (ed. 2) 103 Limitation and prescription are applied only according to the law of the forum.    1858 Ld. St. Leonards Handy-bk. Prop. Law ii. 4 As the law of property is now administered in the different forums‥it exhibits a splendid‥code of jurisprudence.

b.2.b transf. and fig. (Cf. med.L. in foro interno, in foro conscientiæ).

1690 Case Univ. Oxford 48 A right to be impleaded in their own Forum only.    1756 Burke Subl. & B. v. v, Of this, at first view, every man, in his own forum, ought to judge without appeal.    1852 Gladstone Glean. (1879) IV. xiv. 151 In every country of Europe, except one, when excusable collision arises between the civil and the religious power it must be in the external forum.    1874 Morley Compromise (1886) 147 It is truth that in the forum of conscience claims an undivided allegiance.

3.3 attrib., as forum-area, forum-orator.

1812 Southey in Q. Rev. VIII. 347 A forum orator some years ago published a tour.    1893 Archæologia LIII. 544 The forum area was trenched but not excavated.

Additions 1993

Add: 3.3 forum shopping Law (orig. U.S.), the practice by a plaintiff of deliberately seeking out the court felt likely to determine most favourably in a particular case; also forum-shop v. intr. (pres. pple. in quot.).

1954 Federal Suppl. (U.S.) CXVIII. 235/2 He may have been *forum-shopping, but the law has not, particularly in the case of seamen and others in his category, frowned upon this.    1955 U.C.L.A. Law Rev. III. 104 Under the old doctrine a primary consideration was the prevention of a plaintiff's ‘forum shopping’.    1970 Internat. & Compar. Law Q. XIX. i. 29 Their Lordships were‥alive to the evils of ‘forum shopping’ that Machado v. Fontes has in the past been accused of encouraging.    1983 Times 22 Jan. 3/3 Lord Hailsham's view is that the present system with its ‘forum shopping and scales of costs’ in different courts is ‘hardly an advertisement for a system of justice’.

Draft partial entry June 2003

▸ Computing. A discussion group which is accessible online, as through a mailing list, a bulletin board system, a newsgroup, or the World Wide Web, esp. one dedicated to the exchange of information and opinions on a particular topic.
   In early use, not always distinguished from the general sense of ‘a place of public discussion’ (see 1b).

1971 E. Harslem & J. F. Heafner Request for Comments (Network Working Group) (Electronic text) No. 131. 3 We have been proponents of the collective NWG [= Network Working Group] as a forum to raise issues and as a general information transfer mechanism of what sites are doing and thinking.    1984 InfoWorld (Nexis) 18 June 34 A forum or special-interest group (SIG) is a subset of a national network and functions much like a BBS.    1990 Computer Buyer's Guide & Handbk. 8 iii. 34/1 Most people think of BBSs as crude hacker forums where computer nerds trade tips on how to pirate software or break into the Pentagon's computers.    1997 Daily Tel. (Electronic ed.) 1 Nov. In this forum, you can follow or join in conversations as they happen.    2000 Edupage (Electronic text) 25 Aug. The Open eBook Forum is working on standardizing e-publishing and addressing concerns about e-book piracy.

HTH
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

7403406 wrote:forum

(ˈfɔərəm)

[a. L. forum.]

1.1 Rom. Ant. The public place or market-place of a city. In ancient Rome the place of assembly for judicial and other public business.

1460 J. Capgrave Chron. 29 Thoo places in which juges herd causes he [Foroneus] cleped hem aftir his name, ‘forum’, that is to say, ‘a hopen place’, or ‘a market’.    1601 Holland Pliny II. 117 The said Scipioes statue erected in the Forum or publick hall.    1647 R. Stapylton Juvenal 61 The city of Rome had four great forums or piazzas.    1781 Gibbon Decl. & F. II. 15 The principal Forum; which appears to have been of a circular, or rather elliptical form.    1838 Arnold Hist. Rome I. 38 He [Tarquinius] made a forum or market place and divided out the ground around it for shops and stalls, and made a covered walk around it.

b.1.b as the place of public discussion; hence fig.

1735 Thomson Liberty i. 160 Foes in the forum in the field were friends.    1818 Byron Ch. Har. iv. cxiv. 1025 Rienzi‥The forum's champion, and the people's chief.    1831 Carlyle Sart. Res. (1858) 8 To descend‥into the angry noisy Forum, with an Argument that cannot but exasperate and divide.

2.2 A court, tribunal. law of the forum: the legal rules of a particular court or jurisdiction.

1848 Wharton Law Lex., Forum, the court to the jurisdiction of which a party is liable.    1857 Parsons Contracts II. ii. ii. §6 (ed. 2) 103 Limitation and prescription are applied only according to the law of the forum.    1858 Ld. St. Leonards Handy-bk. Prop. Law ii. 4 As the law of property is now administered in the different forums‥it exhibits a splendid‥code of jurisprudence.

b.2.b transf. and fig. (Cf. med.L. in foro interno, in foro conscientiæ).

1690 Case Univ. Oxford 48 A right to be impleaded in their own Forum only.    1756 Burke Subl. & B. v. v, Of this, at first view, every man, in his own forum, ought to judge without appeal.    1852 Gladstone Glean. (1879) IV. xiv. 151 In every country of Europe, except one, when excusable collision arises between the civil and the religious power it must be in the external forum.    1874 Morley Compromise (1886) 147 It is truth that in the forum of conscience claims an undivided allegiance.

3.3 attrib., as forum-area, forum-orator.

1812 Southey in Q. Rev. VIII. 347 A forum orator some years ago published a tour.    1893 Archæologia LIII. 544 The forum area was trenched but not excavated.

Additions 1993

Add: 3.3 forum shopping Law (orig. U.S.), the practice by a plaintiff of deliberately seeking out the court felt likely to determine most favourably in a particular case; also forum-shop v. intr. (pres. pple. in quot.).

1954 Federal Suppl. (U.S.) CXVIII. 235/2 He may have been *forum-shopping, but the law has not, particularly in the case of seamen and others in his category, frowned upon this.    1955 U.C.L.A. Law Rev. III. 104 Under the old doctrine a primary consideration was the prevention of a plaintiff's ‘forum shopping’.    1970 Internat. & Compar. Law Q. XIX. i. 29 Their Lordships were‥alive to the evils of ‘forum shopping’ that Machado v. Fontes has in the past been accused of encouraging.    1983 Times 22 Jan. 3/3 Lord Hailsham's view is that the present system with its ‘forum shopping and scales of costs’ in different courts is ‘hardly an advertisement for a system of justice’.

Draft partial entry June 2003

▸ Computing. A discussion group which is accessible online, as through a mailing list, a bulletin board system, a newsgroup, or the World Wide Web, esp. one dedicated to the exchange of information and opinions on a particular topic.
   In early use, not always distinguished from the general sense of ‘a place of public discussion’ (see 1b).

1971 E. Harslem & J. F. Heafner Request for Comments (Network Working Group) (Electronic text) No. 131. 3 We have been proponents of the collective NWG [= Network Working Group] as a forum to raise issues and as a general information transfer mechanism of what sites are doing and thinking.    1984 InfoWorld (Nexis) 18 June 34 A forum or special-interest group (SIG) is a subset of a national network and functions much like a BBS.    1990 Computer Buyer's Guide & Handbk. 8 iii. 34/1 Most people think of BBSs as crude hacker forums where computer nerds trade tips on how to pirate software or break into the Pentagon's computers.    1997 Daily Tel. (Electronic ed.) 1 Nov. In this forum, you can follow or join in conversations as they happen.    2000 Edupage (Electronic text) 25 Aug. The Open eBook Forum is working on standardizing e-publishing and addressing concerns about e-book piracy.

HTH
Haven't anything to add - just fancied a really BIG quote. :cheesy:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

That was a BIG quote :shock:
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!