What is your level of mechanical expertise?

Polls go here.

Moderator: Moderators

None, I always go to the dealer.
No votes
None, I use a mechanic.
5%
I can do simple stuff that doesn't require many tools, like change an air filter.
10%
I change my own oil, can get wheels off, and macho sounding stuff like that.
21%
I can do most stuff, but its not my profession.
52%
I am a mechanic.
12%
I am the dealer, thou shalt kneel in my presence (and get your wallet out).
No votes

Total votes: 42

rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Re: What is your level of mechanical expertise?

Post by jamjar1383 »

I am a mechanic (ford trained many moons ago), although not a very good one when it comes to french cars it seems :lol: :lol:
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Better than me :) (I wasn't going to confess until there were some more votes.)

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

DIY mechanic me, with lots of tea and cigarettes for the bastard jobs :cheesy:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I can, and have done, all kinds of jobs in the past (some with a bit of assistance) but I lack the tools and equipment.

Recently I considered changing the pads all round on the Volvo but by the time I'd bought some more kit (like a trolley jack, copper grease, brake cleaner 7mm allen key etc..) it was cheaper really to pay my mechanic and I stayed in the warm doing my work :|

Have you ever noticed that when you do a job yourself there is some self doubt hanging around afterwards like "did I tighten those nuts fully?" etc :o whereas when someone else does it for you you don't even give it a passing thought :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
millard
1.8 16v

Post by millard »

Welly wrote: Have you ever noticed that when you do a job yourself there is some self doubt hanging around afterwards like "did I tighten those nuts fully?" etc :o whereas when someone else does it for you you don't even give it a passing thought :?
Haha, and I thought it was just me :cheesy:
I just did the cambelt and a few other jobs and then sent the missus on a 250 ml round trip with the car. I was waiting all night and the next day for an irrate phone call from her,,,didn't happen though - mostly thanks to advise from the forum :wink:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I've no idea how to answer this truthfully. In my younger days there wasn't much I'd have a crack at but on old clunkers it didn't really matter. I've rebuilt a few engines, made 1 good gearbox out of two broken ones, changed numerous clutches, brakes, driveshaft gaiters, shocks, springs, blah blah, plus normal servicing stuff beyond count. Once I started driving newer cars I thought I'd have them worked on professionally but a couple of cock-ups later I gave up on that*. These days I can get stuff done for almost no cost, so my last service on the D9 was done by a mechanic. And hey, for the first time ever I didn't end up with engine oil everywhere!

*This goes with the above posts - I had the gearbox oil changed in my 2nd BX 16 valve by a well known Citroen franchise who buggered the 'box up by putting the wrong oil in it, so for the next job (which I can't actually remember what was for) I took it to another garage, who gave me my car back with all the wheel bolts loose. After that I decided I couldn't make any bigger cock-ups than these guys so I went back to the DIY. Since I've come here and the labour's cheap (or even free 8) ) it's going in to the workshop. But I know the mechanics as mates, I trust them, plus I get to watch & lend a hand. Actually, yesterday I was meant to go shopping but, as the workshop's just around the corner from the supermarket, I helped change the thermostat on a Mercedes Sprinter instead :cheesy:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

Since changing from the 406 to the tractor (Discovery 1) i have tackled jobs that would have been beyond my level of confidence in the past, like the recent change of all 8 wheel bearings and the required stripping down of hubs,stub axles, swivel joints etc etc, there is always that niggling self doubt with any jobs i do, but im hoping this will pass with more and more successful jobs ticked off the list, i once tried to change the clutch in an old 205 gti i had, it was the death of the car and resulted me selling it as scrap with its guts spread all over my garage floor :oops:

i have always believed in doing services and the like myself as i detest paying somebody to drain oil and change a couple filters but major engine work i think i would still pass on as its all a bit of a mystery to me beyond swapping out old for new.

i once swapped an engine in my old series 3 land rover with the help of a mate, we took out a tired 2.25 diesel and stuck in a wopping great big perkins thing, that was easy though really as it was just bolts off, bit of welding and drop perkins in, bolt back up :cheesy:

luckily im now in the same situation as Steve re the labour costs, cheap as chips here, its just the parts are extortionately expensive for land rovers in Poland, so for the next big job i will be ordering parts from the uk and then just finding a local "man that can".

in reference to the wheel bearings i had to strip down the hubs about 3 times each as i was convinced i hadn't tightened things up enough or over tightened them, so a days job was spread out over about 2 weeks with my constant fiddling and checking on an almost weekly basis.
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

change my own oil get wheels of and stuff sounding like that :lol:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Do pretty much everything myself, but if I do have to go to the garage I have certain ones which I trust to do different jobs. Done a few engine swaps in my time and my 309 I've built up from a shell so I'm not averse to most jobs, although some engine jobs I'm a bit wary of.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

I would class myself as a competant DIY mechanic with some comercial vehicle experience as well. Got into doing stuff myself after being the victim of some fairly basic cock ups by garages. I like to think i know my level of expertise, but will tackle most stuff.

Tip of the day, buy good quality tools, they do the job better and last a life time.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

Used to do more or less everything myself, but where I live now, it's shared parking and on a slope so not really practical to be doing anything there.

The guy who I bought my car is a real good friend, and a mechanic, so he does most things I can't practically do given the circumstances

Although if I had a garage, i'd certainly have a go at anything
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

The only stuff I can't/won't do myself is bodywork. However having said that I'm going to have an attempt at re-painting a green bumper for my sat grey coupe because I got it dirt cheap to replace the one being held together with duct tape :lol:
Welly wrote:Have you ever noticed that when you do a job yourself there is some self doubt hanging around afterwards like "did I tighten those nuts fully?" etc :o whereas when someone else does it for you you don't even give it a passing thought :?
Actually it's the other way round for me! :lol:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
andymacg
2.0 16v

Post by andymacg »

technically im a trained mechanic, learnt my trade in the army although its been 12 years since i did it proffessionally and theres a hell of a lot of difference in working on 4 ton bedfords and landrovers and on modern motors

mind you I still do all my own maintenance, last year i rebuilt the gearbox in the wifes discovery and get roped into servicing my dads pug 306
jolly green giant 1.8 16v LX estate
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Iwas practicly born with a spanner in my hand,
my dad was a mechanic and he had me changing clutch plates in vauxhall vivas @ 11yr old,
ispent many months @ college training to be a car mechanic and idropped out as they had me doing stuff ialready knew,
ive learnt enough to get by with working at Garages ,

Working on cars bores me now ive lost interest in them