HOWTO: ES9J4 V6 idle control valve and throttle cleaning

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

mjb
Site Admin

HOWTO: ES9J4 V6 idle control valve and throttle cleaning

Post by mjb »

1. Tools. You'll need flathead screwdrivers and pliers for removing the clips, allen keys, a can of carb cleaner, and if you've not done it before, a small pile of jubilee clips

2. The Enemy.

3. Unplug the electrical connector from the ICV (push the metal bar in and pull the plug) and remove the 2 allen screws to the side of it holding the clip to the throttle body

4. Loosen the jubilee clips from the air box - there's likely to be 2 of them as on mine, but if your car hasn't seen much servicing you'll find a PSA hose clip which needs some brutal unclipping. If you want to take the airbox out, it's up to you, but just remember you'll need to unplug the IAT sensor from near where the small pipe goes in (partially visible just to the left of the jubilee clip). Pull the air hoses off the air box.

5. The large air pipe needs to come out - there's a little push-fit connector linking it to the engine and a jubilee clip holding it to the throttle

6. Now you've freed stuff up, you can twist the ICV round a bit to get better access to the clips. Remove the one on the left of the picture

7. Now it's off you can remove the other clips

8. This is nearly £200!!!! Blast it with carb cleaner until it's clean. If you give it a GENTLE (£200 gentle!) twisting motion, you should feel the valve opening and closing smoothly. If it feels gritty, get back at it with the carb cleaner. I'd do the pipes you removed too.

9. Look at all that gunk around the throttle butterfly! As you may be able to guess from the picture I'm pulling the wheel to the side up with my finger to open the butterfly. Carb cleaner and a rag/cloth/kitchen roll is what you need here. Don't forget there's a top as well as a bottom! A buildup of gunk here can cause engine management issues if it means the throttle is sealed up while the throttle pot (the yellowish square thing attached to that plug on the right) is telling the ECU that the throttle's open

10. Refitting is not quite the opposite of removal. Put the pipes on the ICV with some jubilee clips just tight enough so they don't slide around. Fix the short L-shaped pipe to the inlet manifold and screw the clip back into the throttle. Arrange the jubilee clips so you can get a screwdriver to them. Put the airbox side back together first and then finally tighten all the jubilees.

11. Refit the ICV connector (and IAT if you pulled the air box out).

12. Beer time.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang