Coolant temperature too high warning message on a D9 406

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

so the fan isnt cutting in then i take it?
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

yes it does james but not when i first turn the A/C on... it comes in quite a bit later and on full bore
but only for a few seconds then keeps repeating this...
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

a/c system pressure is too high then, the fan will only hit full speed if coolant temperature is critically high or of the a/c pressure is dangerously high
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

cheers for that james.... just had it recharged after fitting new condensor so guess
its back to the garage that re gassed it.... many thanks james :D :D
Harshan
2.2 16v

Post by Harshan »

fans should come at low speed as soon as u switch on A/C ... check the bottom relay in the center relay box between two fans ..
Harshan
2.2 16v

Post by Harshan »

anyone out there to educate me on the fan resistors... where can i find them ?
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Thanks for that Harshan.. mine's only got one fan with a relay box on the right
but shall check it as you suggested.... :D
Harshan
2.2 16v

Post by Harshan »

oops.. if thats only one fan then it should be a two stepper motor .. check this.. start the engine... switch off a/c .. wait until temp hikes upto 90 ~ 95 like.. see if the fan engages.. if that engages fine at low speed then fan and relay mechanism works properly.. and then the culprit most probably the a/c pressure sensor.. sometimes back same happened to me. even temp goes to 100 fans doesn't engage + even if i switch on a/c fans doesn't engage. after 100+ degrees fans come at high speed. found the bottom relay which triggers 2 fans in serial mode has gone..
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

Harshan wrote:oops.. if thats only one fan then it should be a two stepper motor .. check this.. start the engine... switch off a/c .. wait until temp hikes upto 90 ~ 95 like.. see if the fan engages.. if that engages fine at low speed then fan and relay mechanism works properly.. and then the culprit most probably the a/c pressure sensor.. sometimes back same happened to me. even temp goes to 100 fans doesn't engage + even if i switch on a/c fans doesn't engage. after 100+ degrees fans come at high speed. found the bottom relay which triggers 2 fans in serial mode has gone..
this is practically impossible as the HDi runs so cold, the fan never seems to cut in to cool the engine
Harshan
2.2 16v

Post by Harshan »

this is practically impossible as the HDi runs so cold, the fan never seems to cut in to cool the engine
hmm.. dunno much on hdi's but my 1.8 Gasoline acts like I explained.. even if the temp is less than 70 fans engage and start working in low speed as soon as i switch on the a/c .. probably ECU does something with external temperature as well. I'm in a tropical country so the temp outside is always above 27 so that might be the reason and one another thing I noted that is in day time as soon as temp goes up to 90 with A/C fans start running at high speed.. and in the night even temp goes to 95 fans doesn't step into high speed mode.. probably something to do with external temperature
Harshan
2.2 16v

Post by Harshan »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:cheers Mike

Not sure why I didnt see the img tags first time round, doh!!!

Fog

Hi fog.. many thanks for the valuable advises here.. could you please help me locating the fan resistors.. I've played out with fan relays, fan wire harness up to under the battery cover .. fan main fuses.. but never came across with fan resistors. may be i've seen them but couldn't recognize.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

there is no fan resistor as such, you have the fan switch in the thermostat housing, the three relays and the bitron sensor or cooling fan ecu hidden behind the left front wheel arch liner
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

Sorry about the links guys, fixed them now :D

Fog
GeordieBoy
3.0 24v

Post by GeordieBoy »

That happens on mine quite a bit now, but the cooland temp gauge is eratic, often does not work then shoots up and warning light comes on. Is they a temp sensor somewhere that could be the problem, if so where?
UK Open Drift Championship 2011 Driver #80
Vehicles I own:-
1999 S Peugeot 406 LX 1.9TD (90% WVO, 10% Petrol)
2000 W Ford Transit LWB High Roof 2.5D
1997 R E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Drift/Track Car)
1995 N E36 BMW 328i Saloon (Spare Parts Car)
SOLD --- 2001 Y 406 GTX 2.0 HDi 110bhp
robconnors1977
1.8 16v

Post by robconnors1977 »

Yes mine done that. Kept comming up engine temp too high and guage unit in red. Fault was engine coolent temp sensor located just under the air-filter box trunking, in thermo housing. It has a green connector and easy to fit and only cost £9 for the part from peugeot.