trip computer installation

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

chili
2.0 16v

Post by chili »

where exactly is the trip computer located ?
my m8 at work his y reg lx model has 2 arrows on the washer stalk pointing towards the steering wheel pressing this changes his trip computer read out.
my v reg glx has the button but it does not have the arrows nor does it seem to press inwards.

which display has the switch to turn to number 3 ? is this the radion display unit at the top of the centre console ?
if i go into the paramaters of this unit by pressing the front buttons i get the option to dispaly in miles or kilo
diesel.weasel
1.8 8v

Post by diesel.weasel »

Hi I know this thread is old, but I am new to this forum!

I am trying to get te trip computer working on my 1999 V Reg HDI (90) Lx. The car has got the multifunction display and the stalk for the trip computer (I've fitted this myself). I am able to cycle through the different computer perameters (MPG, Miles to refuel, etc) however I have no readings coming through. I know I need a signal from the ECU, does anyone know the cable number for this engine which gives the reqiured signal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

DW
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I'm pondering this again (oh dear). I think I may have this worked out.

There's 2 rows of pins on the trip computer, but the connector plugged into it only has one row of pins. So I'm guessing that the row of unconnected pins are for the trip computer magic. I'm also guessing that in the Haynes electrical diagram, the row of connected pins are shown to the right of the block and the row of unconnected pins are shown to the left and so the pin '6' on the left of the box isn't the same as pin '6' on the right of it.

So, from that row of unconnected pins, the following connections must be made:

2 -> Earth - should be able to steal one from the instrument cluster

5 -> wire 7205 to button on wiper stalk (or any old button, push to earth)

6 -> wire 4310, pin 15 on instrument cluster

10 -> wire 465 pin 21 on instrument cluster (or pin 2 on vehicle speed interface module, but that's extra work)

And from the diagram linked to on the other page:

12 -> wire 1368, pin 32 on ECU

This is what I'm concerned about. The Haynes shows the ECUs pin 32 to go to the aircon, and someone earlier in this thread said theirs is on pin 4! I don't particularly want to blow my ECU up, so what course of action should I take to make sure it's the right wire I'm splicing into on my 2.0 Turbo?

My memory fails me on what the back of the instrument cluster's like. Is this going to be a job of splicing wires on the connector, soldering wires to unused connector pins, or soldering wires to the PCB?

Can someone suggest where I can obtain a fitting connector for the trip computer save me having to solder directly onto it?

Does anyone have a spare wiper stalk with rear wash/wipe and trip computer controls on it? ;)

How the heck do I get a wire from the engine compartment through the bulkhead?

Lastly, EEK! :shock:

Y'know, I don't think this thread will ever die... :P
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

Oh dear this sounds hard..........
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

ignore the haynes manual engine wiring diagram its totally wrong
unwrap the insulation from the ecu loom near the plug, use a scotch lock on wire 1368, its near the top of the loom and if i recall is yellow or white,
the haynes manual trip computer wiring diagram is correct, and it does tell you which plug does what, i cant tell you what goes where at the moment, as i havent got my manual with me, but if you have a haynes manual and the guide on the previous page you should have no problems, dont solder the wires to the pcb, just remove the outer insulation from the pcb loom, and find the relevant wire then use a scotch lock
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Cheers, think I'm going to have a go at that! TBH I'd never heard of scotch locks before now, I've just googled them and gone 'ahhhhhh' :)

2 questions remain: how do I get the wire through the bulkhead, and how did you make the connections to the trip computer?
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

open the bonnet and follow down the bulkhead where the steering column would go and you will find a rubber grommet i drilled a hole in that and pushed the wire through, and on the back of the trip computer i stuffed the wires onto the pins :shock:
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

WARNING!!!! DO NOT FOLLOW MY POST ABOVE WITHOUT READING THIS!!!!

OK Guess who blew his car up and had to take an hour and a half's walk to Halfords for a new fuse? :evil:

1. Open up the trip computer and solder the 4 needed wires to the connector on the PCB. Check

2. Stick a DB9 connector on the end, so the trip computer can be removed. Check

3. Make a mini-loom to take the wires behind the dash (nicely braided - I'm proud!). Check

4. Connect up the 2 wires to the instrument display, and attach the switch (nick an earth from the instrument display). Check. ECU wire still unattached.

5. Plug in, press button, watch switch spark and trip computer turn off. Check

6. Notice lack of ignition. Check

7. Swear loudly and plentifully. Check

The symptoms were odd. Firstly the trip computer went off as you'd expect to happen if something went badly wrong. Also the immobiliser keypad wouldn't light up or show anything other than a red light. Trying to start resulted in the starter motor turning but no ignition. The odd part was there was no immobiliser beeping at me - which is usually what happens when it kicks in. Also (didn't notice this to start with) the clock died. But this is what confused me - a light on the stereo was on without the ignition being on (ie. something which is powered by the same fuse circuit as the trip computer). I'm guessing in retrospect that it was just residual juice held in a capacitor powering it.

Oh man did I panic. I've never been so glad to see a burnt out fuse in my whole life!

On closer inspection, it seems something's wrong with the way I'm implementing the stalk button - ie, just a switch taking pin 5 on the t/c to earth. Pin 5 is actually at 12v and really doesn't like being shorted. I'm wondering if the wiper stalk switch actually has a resistor in it, or if the Haynes is wrong on the whole pin 5 idea.

Haven't seen if the average speed function works yet, because I've not driven the car with the lines active yet.

So... Can someone tell me a bit more about this stalk button? It obviously isn't as the Haynes tells it!
kebab22
1.8 8v

Re: trip computer installation

Post by kebab22 »

hi
did anyone work this out ?
i have a 99 1.8 mk2 shape is this easy to do ?
cheers
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

This will only work on a D8/Mk1, sorry :(
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
kebab22
1.8 8v

Post by kebab22 »

:( thanks for the fast reply.
is there much i can do with my d9 ?
cheers
lee
Deano
1.8 8v

Post by Deano »

kebab22 wrote::( thanks for the fast reply.
is there much i can do with my d9 ?
cheers
lee
:roll: Yes get a D8 :mrgreen: sorry I cant resist saying that
2.0L 8V TURBO EXECUTIVE 150BHP+TOYS ZRX1200R AND MK1 EUNOS ROADSTER
itchy
1.8 8v

Post by itchy »

Okay, I've just read this thread.... I have a D9, if I've read it all correctly, you can just get an indicator stalk with the button on the end, a temp sendor for the n/s mirror, and connect a few wires from the ecu to the dash etc, and that's it? A fully functional system? (or am I missing something?!!).
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

You missed the part about selling your car and replacing it with a d8 if you want to do this hack. The d9 trip computer is COMPLETELY different.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
old codger
2.0 16v

Post by old codger »

D9 has a trip computor? You mean people actualy go distances in them?