bsi manual, battery disconnect/reconnect precautions etc.

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

lozz
3.0 24v

bsi manual, battery disconnect/reconnect precautions etc.

Post by lozz »

just found this,
some interesting reading on it,

Edit: Seems like this only applies to semi-mux 8from 1999 to mid 2001 :(

linky http://spidometrs.ru/s2/download/peugeot_manual.pdf
Procedure for Battery Disconnection (The 3 minute rule)
1. Whenever a vehicle battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment interior lights etc. close the doors
leaving the driver's window down.
2. Switch off the ignition and remove the key and DIAG if connected.
3. Wait a full 3-minutes before disconnecting the battery.
The BSI must be allowed to go to sleep i.e into 'Power Save' mode. Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during
this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake up the BSI on the vehicle fitted with an alarm.
If the battery is under the bonnet open the bonnet first and leave it up. 807 batteries can be disconnected through the
driver's window, remove floor cover first.
Always disconnect the DIAG, as the BSI does not go to sleep when connected. Ensure that a plip from the same Peugeot
model type is not operated within range of your vehicle as this will also wake up the BSI.
Procedure for Battery Reconnection
Unless instructed otherwise by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred
to as a 'Soft Re-boot', to minimise the possibility of the BSI corrupting its own software when reconnecting the
vehicle's battery supply.
Ensure that the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSI functions were switched
off with the driver's window left down.
1. Close all doors on the vehicle.
2. Remove the ignition key if left in the ignition.
3. Reconnect the battery.
4. Wait 10 seconds.
5. Switch on the headlights through the driver's window. You will hear a 'Bong'.
6. Switch on the ignition then start the vehicle and check systems are functioning.
Upon reconnection of the battery: If any vehicle function controlled by the BSI i.e. interior light is switched on,
the internal operation of the BSI has the potential to spike or corrupt its configuration and software program.
Procedure for Jump Starting a Vehicle fitted with BSI
Certain precautions must be observed when jump starting vehicles fitted with a BSI. Failure to do so can result in spiking
ECUs including the BSI and engine management. Remember, when connecting the leads always fit the earth lead
clamp last when completing the jump circuit and disconnect it first on removal.
1. Having connected the jump leads, start the donor vehicle, then start the vehicle with the flat battery.
2. Wait a few minutes for its tick-over to stabilise. Do not rev the engine.
3. Switch on its headlights, heated rear window and heater fan.
4. Remove the jump leads from the vehicles.
5. Switch off all loads one by one.
6. Allow vehicle to idle and recharge battery.
This procedure prevents the alternator, suddenly loaded by the removal of the jump leads, from creating a high voltage
spike before the alternator's regulator can stabilise the voltage

Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: peugeot 406 bsi manual,

Post by Doggy »

It does look interesting, but I suspect it relates to models up to about 2001 - doesn't seem correct for later cars.

Be worth getting it 'stickified' if possible as I reckon the safety precautions / explanations could save a few people some money / frustration.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

im not sure what years it covers tbh ,
iwas just looking up too see what the bsi covers,

eg what links as it too the radio and can the radio be De-linked from the bsi -thats if the bsi controls the security of the radio or whether its the Mfd that holds that infomation -my search as drawn a blank up too now,
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

dogslife wrote:It does look interesting, but I suspect it relates to models up to about 2001 - doesn't seem correct for later cars.
What parts don't?
Be worth getting it 'stickified' if possible as I reckon the safety precautions / explanations could save a few people some money / frustration.
That's what I was thinking, although I reckon I should paste it in as text in case the original goes walkies.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:
dogslife wrote:It does look interesting, but I suspect it relates to models up to about 2001 - doesn't seem correct for later cars.
What parts don't?
Well, I've reprogrammed mine to recognise the r/c plip again, (which it refused to do after disconnecting the car battery) and the PP2000 'learning' process isn't the same as this link
steve_earwig wrote:That's what I was thinking, although I reckon I should paste it in as text in case the original goes walkies.
Amen to that.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hmm, I wouldn't know :oops: The rest of it is very useful. Off to copy this to the ol' Knowledge Base.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.