fuel flap

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

mbell666
3.0 24v

Re: fuel flap

Post by mbell666 »

It'll not be long till yours goes welly. You'll have your turn don't you worry....

I used to read this threads about about broken springs wondering what all the fuss was about, until it happen to me a few months before i sold the car.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
rapport25
3.0 24v
Location: either in my Audi SQ5+, X- trail Aventura or Mini Cooper Cab

Post by rapport25 »

Just to add some confusion to the mix :lol: My pug has no plastic hinge broke off. Im assuming mine is the cable at fault. Fitted the spring works great opens every time :D
djp30djp
2.2 16v

Post by djp30djp »

No it's not the hinge that breaks, it's a small plastic lug half way up the flap, next to the hinge(see previous pics). If the lug is still there you can feel the original spring working against the flap as it closes.
406 HDI Exec Estate (2 off) & 307CC HDI Cabriolet
dervpower
2.2 16v

Post by dervpower »

my lug is still there but it still dont open!! tried to do the fix today but i could only find plastic clothes peg and the spring was to big and the flap didnt sit flush worked though :mrgreen:
rapport25
3.0 24v

Post by rapport25 »

I used the spring of a plastic peg to i know what you mean about it being to big :shock: . I bent the peg to suit the flap and filler but got a pair of mole grips to compress the peg and that sorted the problem for me. Hope that helps?
rapport25
3.0 24v

Post by rapport25 »

Sorry to hear you have been having a game with it. But i found it very easy to replace like removing my gear knob and changing with a leather and chrome one. To sort the filler flap firstly i got two flat blade screw drivers one very small one to push plastic lug in at the top and second a bigger one at the bottom. Inserted the one at the bottom twisted it to push pin up inserted compressed clothes peg pushed pin back down job done 8)
rapport25
3.0 24v

Post by rapport25 »

Could not agree more. At first there was the wheel.............. then the modified fuel filler flap for the oh so great pug 406 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
djp30djp
2.2 16v

Post by djp30djp »

supafrisk wrote: I cheated and got my mechanic to do it earlier whilst he was replacing a couple of sloppy bushes :cheesy:

BTW he says wicked bodge :cheesy:
He will probably use it himself now, nice little earner :wink: :wink:
406 HDI Exec Estate (2 off) & 307CC HDI Cabriolet
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Flap was working fine on my 1996 saloon, right up to the day she was hauled away to the scrap yard.
puglover
2.0 16v

Post by puglover »

gonna do it on mine tomorrow........thanks a lots guys :cheesy: :cheesy:
retrogeordy
1.8 8v

Post by retrogeordy »

When the flap is open just get a soft spring (paperclip diameter). On the side furthest away from the hinges remove one of the screws ,put spring over hole with washer re tighten screw, job done.
alanmv

Post by alanmv »

Just done the fuel filler flap fix (jesus, try saying that after half a bottle of wine) with the peg spring, absolutely fantastic, no more wedging stuff under the lever, no more having to go to petrol station on a Sunday because the Wife cant wedge the lever open (gone through 2 cigar lighters, god knows how many lost screwdrivers, even broke the central locking button on my key trying to wedge that under the flap. do you know how much they cost)? sprayed some grease on the pin the night before just to ease it a bit, took about 10 mins.

djp30djp Your a Ledgend :cheesy: :lol: :cheesy: :lol: :cheesy:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Much more than a new petrol flap :(

I spent about 2 hours dismantling the flap on my D9 and fitting a spacer on the Bowden cable. Which reminds me, while it's off the road I must lift the carpet and see if I can work out why I needed to do that.

The D8's is fine :?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Anybody still got a pic of this modification - the ones in this ere fred have expired, :cry:
(or rusted, or fallen out), please?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Here is my attempt at the fix, as you can see, it's rather a long time since I did it....it took me just 2 minutes.

Push up the pin with a screwdriver blade, making sure you press in the plastic peg at the top as the pin comes up, slot in the spring and push down the pin.

Mine still works perfectly.

Sorry about the size of the pic, i'm not an expert at posting pics.