2.1td lucas to bosch pump swap?

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

weejimmy
1.8 8v

Re: 2.1td lucas to bosch pump swap?

Post by weejimmy »

i used the 2.1 lucas mount and just moved the threads to the other holes for the bosh,
also used the stock 2.1 timing belt cover with no issues.

save geting it posted half way round the world
2.1 td exe
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

mark21TD wrote:Right, the 406 pump is partly electronic in that the senser on top (next to the mushroom thing) controles the EGR valve via the EUC, other than that they are almost the same, both pumps can be used on the 2.1 convertion.
Oh and the 406 and some of the 405 pumps will have the immobaliser thing on it and will have to be removed (it's behind the heavy stealwork on the rear of the pump), untill you do this you can't get to the stop solinide.
'Scuse the hijack :oops:

Does this mean that a standard 406TD can be tuned in exactly the same way as a 405 / Bosch-equiped 306?

Has anyone done it?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
weejimmy
1.8 8v

Post by weejimmy »

yes it stil has the max fule screw and same lda set up and same gov if you want to shim it, etc etc
i think you could rip all the ecu crap off it and just use it like a normal self advancing pump.
ive striped one down to a bare casing and theres no internal difrences.
2.1 td exe
mark21TD
2.2 16v

Post by mark21TD »

Yes it can be tuned just like the 405 / 306,
you can also change the internals for ones from a Ford Transit, something about the the pump diamiter being 11mm instead of 9mm so more fuel delivered, but you still use the 1.9 distributer part.
I've got the Email address of a guy on a 306 forum that knows all about it but not got in touch with him yet.
I'll post all the info I get from him so all can see.

Have a look at this thread from the frenchcarforum about pump rebuild
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=28590
406 2.1TD GLX estate
Xantia 1.9TD VSX estate
brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/
weejimmy
1.8 8v

Post by weejimmy »

yes you can use a head from a 11/12mm pump but its not an easy job.
id say defo try the gov mod first and if you have ANY problems with doing that yourself dont touch the head.
its very coplex and every little shim needs to be correct size etc.

pluss i dont theres much need to go more than just the stage 1 + gov mod.
2.1 td exe
wlb
1.6 8v

Post by wlb »

captaindugong wrote:Hi
Maybe you are sorted by now in Australia....
I had my 406 STDT wagon converted by Morassi and Wiliams in Williamstown, Victoria.
Easily found with google.
$1600 cash including a pump rebuild (I supplied the pump)
Lucas injectors
5% loss of power
Similar economy (i run it on biodiesel)
Tacho works up to 3000 rpm then drops to 0 till next start
ECU light on constantly
Plenty of pumps on Ebay UK. Mount. sprocket, pipes about 80 pounds.
Hope that helps all downunder!
Carl
Thanks Carl. No, I'm still just collecting information. The current Lucas pump that was fitted 2 1/2 years ago is still running okay.
I have a 405 Bosch pump on hand just in case, and a Xantia pump being held by a friend in the UK.
I haven't checked here for awhile. The notification thing doesn't seem to have worked so I didn't realize there had been new posts.

Warwick.
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

Julian on AF did the conversion in his 406 STDT using the 1.9TD pump from a 405 - He documented the conversion pretty well I thought! I think he even had the tacho working, although could not get the engine light to go out!

Considering the silly money which 406's are going for these days here in Australia, it's starting to get to the point (especially in the high mileage cars) as to if it is worth it. $1600 seems reasonable for the conversion, but the other prices for 4K+ are more than half the value of the car!

Welcome to 406oc - From another Aussie :)
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

wlb
1.6 8v

Post by wlb »

"Stalled"? - Is that you J**l?
You're a long way from home.

Yes, Julian and I exchanged e-mails during and after. He sent me some good photos. Not sure if he ended up selling it, but I think he became a victim of bad timing - like me. He got the conversion done successfully which resulted in a very good car and a disaster averted, but that coincided with the problems associated with 406 2.1 diesels becoming more widely known resulting in people steering clear of them and prices plummetting.

My misfortune was that mine failed early in the piece, before the problem was widely known. I blamed it on our change to ULSD fuel and sourced another Lucas pump from the UK. Morassi & Williams had only just started doing their conversions. I even spoke to them. If mine had failed 6 months later I would have been straight into a 405 conversion and it would all be behind me by now.

I've been talking to Ian in Brisbane for a few months. He had a 1999 model with only 130,000km on the clock when the pump went. Someone who has a 405 pump on hand just bought it for $2,250 via AF. An absolute bargain.

I've become a grumpy old man I think. I prefer playing with my old P5B, where you expect to find Lucas products, and when you do they are easy to remove and fix. I'm now seriously considering finding a good 505 SRDT (sold last one 6 years ago) and forgetting about anything built after the '80s. However, Leon (AF dieselman) seems to be hoarding them. It just isn't fair.

Warwick.
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

Leon is a top bloke - met him a couple of times and his white GTD is in fantastic condition!

Who ever got the green STDT for 2.2k had a good deal - could get it back on the road for 4k, including the price of the car if you were good with your hands! Furthermore, the low KM on the clock is almost unheard of when it comes to Pug diesels here - I think Julian's car was close to the 400k mark when it was for sale.

As for being a grumpy old man - I understand. I feel like a change from the 406, but can't bring myself to sell it. MX5 with a cage for some motorsport work is all too tempting these days :)
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!

wlb
1.6 8v

Post by wlb »

Leon! You're not wrong there.
He helped me out enormously last Easter when the heater core let go all over the floor. Thanks to the photos he sent me of a 406 he had partly dismantled, I was able to identify the locations of all those cleverly hidden lower facia screws and exercise some keyhole surgery to get things apart.

As for your MX5 idea.
Good car but now far too modern for me. What you need is an old Peugeot like this one. Doesn't even need a roll-cage.

weejimmy
1.8 8v

Post by weejimmy »

just finished a lucas to bosh conversion for somone with added advance and govnor mods,
it will advance an extra 2-3 deg and pull hard much higher in the revs, not sure what revs as it still cuts at 3k rpm
but what an improvment over the lucas. and id have to recomend the govnor shimming mod. :shock:
2.1 td exe