KB: Connectors in footwell, crazy electrics*

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

rapierKen
1.8 16v

KB: Connectors in footwell, crazy electrics*

Post by rapierKen »

(apologies for loosing half the pics, I managed to save the ones on photobucket but the imageshed ones are long gone :cry: . Steve E)

It started with the "low brake fluid" warning coming up. I topped up the resevoir but this didn't fix it. I checked the connections and used the handbrake on and off method. Still not such a problem just that annoying beep! :evil:
The fuel guage started reading full all the time.
Then the fuel cap light came on. At first it glowed dimly then got brighter and stayed on.(incidently I couldn't find a reference to this in the handbook!)
After about a week the side airbag light came on along with "air bag" warning light.
Checked fuses, checked wires no joy.
Then the speedo and rev counter and temp. guages started dancing! :shock:
Tapping the brakes made them behave.
Then, with the car locked, the brake lights came on. Then went off, then glowed dimly then stayed on. At this point I pulled the fuses for the brake lights and bugger all happened. The lights stayed on. Disconnected the battery and then reconnected. Lights stayed off until I tried the brakes with the ignition on.
I removed the BSI (with the battery disconnected) and (with battery back on) turned on the ignition to find all the lights still lit up.
Must be the dash board. Out with the dash on with the soldering iron. Every pin and connection to the dials.
Put back in, no joy. Brake lights on with or without the dash board.
Removed brake light switch. (what a swine that is to remove)-lights still on!
Looked for all the earth points round the car. Got to the drivers footwell and I could hear a buzzing noise. Could it be a relay?
Took the footwell side panel off and the sill cover. Saw what looked like a wisp of smoke! :shock:
Lifted up the carpet and found a swimming pool with these underneath
Further inspection found this
and this
Using contact cleaner and good old WD I gave them a good clean. I removed the pin retaining clips and with a small file and a pick I cleaned as much rusty gunk out as I could.
After drying as much as I could and reconnecting and disconnecting all the connectors several times I turned on the ignition to find all the lights extinguished.
The "low brake fluid " warning has also disappeared!
Looking at the Haynes wiring, the fuse for the brake lights also does the dash bulbs and the passenger airbag disable. There must be a permanent live in one of the connectors(rear passenger light or boot light maybe) that was shorting and making a circuit with the brake light circuit.
I was going to bite the bullet and let an autosparky have a looksee. £45 an hour made me more determined to find the fault myself!
Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: low brake fluid and other warning lights

Post by steve_earwig »

Well done that man!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Fantastic post :cheesy:

Well worth sharing with us for future reference.

It's always something simple isn't it? It's just finding it.

Silly place to put multi-pin connectors, on the floor :roll:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

I think the problem was caused by the routing of my aerial wire through the door seal. I think this where the water entered. That or the jet wash.
Sorted with some bathroom sealer. :wink:
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

That lot could do with some waterproofing really, I'll ponder that thought! Some sort of tray for the connectors to sit in. Hmm...
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
rapierKen
1.8 16v

Post by rapierKen »

teamster1975 wrote: Some sort of tray for the connectors to sit in. Hmm...
A drip tray? :lol:
If Peugeot had only put them behind the side panel they would have been dry. But hey-ho if only we had to access to foresight beforehand......... :wink:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

teamster1975 wrote:That lot could do with some waterproofing really, I'll ponder that thought! Some sort of tray for the connectors to sit in. Hmm...
Wot, like a Merc? Hmm, a nice tray for the connectors to marinade in... More like wrap the damn things in self-almagamating tape!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

steve_earwig wrote:
teamster1975 wrote:That lot could do with some waterproofing really, I'll ponder that thought! Some sort of tray for the connectors to sit in. Hmm...
Wot, like a Merc? Hmm, a nice tray for the connectors to marinade in... More like wrap the damn things in self-almagamating tape!
Yeah but you'd never get the buggers apart again! Sod it, coat the whole lot in plumbers mate! :lol:
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
ozzie

Post by ozzie »

hello mate,your a massive help!! just bought a 406 1999 diesel and the dash went ape lately. the smell of smoke and the lights flashing and the low brake fluid warning, the rev counter and spedo counter acting up..same problems as ur post. youve saved me a small fortune and a lot of run around! thanks again mate :lol: